• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help for trim

Al404

i started my tank since 2 weeks but the tall plant in the back, that i don't know the name, it grows pretty fast
now i guess that if i trim it, it will split in 2 new branches and i'm not really sure i want that for all of them

if i don't trim the plat would it just stop growing in height when it reach the top of water column?

tank is about 31cm height

Depends what plant it is, but generally speaking, once they hit the top of the water, they grow branches anyway.

Sounds like some kind of stemplant ( = one stem with leaves coming out ).
Most stemplants will grow multiple new branches from the lower part of original stem, when top is trimmed away.
- if you want to keep only one, straight-growing stem, try cut the top part in the length you want => remove the leftover stem with its root => remove lovest leaves of top-part and plant this part instead. Most stemplants are capable of growing new roots from such top-cuttings very fast, and then grow on happily. When too tall => repeat procedure...........
Plants will not stop growing when they reach surface. They will either grow on out of water, or grow on horisontaly in surface.........and the latter will usually do heavy branching, yes.

Sorry i thought i did attach photo

91474f94a3e8e871e1b5cc7f4ba201e8.jpg

It is ok if it grow other branches from the bottom. What i don't like is that after i cut the plant i see 2 branches that split the first part. Like an Y

Just watched video - gives a pretty good visual of what I ment !!
- in reality, I combine the two, and also use the " Black Current Method" (=a standard gardening trimming method, to keep bushes young and virile)
Goes like this: In a cycle of given time, trim quite low longest (and oldest) parts of a given group of stems. About 1/3 of total amount of stems should be cut. When new growth appear it's time to trim next 1/3 of stems, that are now the longest and oldest. When these cut stems show new growth, the final 1/3 of stems are trimmed. This way the group will look good at all times, instead of ugly after one, large, heavy trim. And now the first 1/3 is ready for the cycle to be repeated......
It's often benefitial, to re-plant some of the top's inbetwen the group. This will make the group look even better, and add to the general density

Last edited:
Back