• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres

Nothing really happening in the pond apart from the Monte Carlo going mad - it fizzes like lemonade when the lights are on.
15912615182_2247f13b47_c_d.jpg

15887458176_04aa698377_c_d.jpg

Update pics.

The semi emerged UG mat is growing nicely but no sign of it properly breaking the surface. Pity, I really wanted it to take over from the HC - perhaps I'll try replanting some above the surface on top of the HC. The fish love the shady parts of the tank and love exploring behind the wood in the little cave under the anubias and moss.

Slightly bigger tank or twin 40 litre? hmmm... need to plot this one carefully.

16237243822_3c208fee84_c_d.jpg

16050678170_e3e6a25499_c_d.jpg

Oh, very nice photo with shade under that branch. It blends to the darkness of the room, so green sides are sliding on the surface of dark substance. Great. I'm lacking English words to express this.

How do you find Hyg.Araguaia there? It's quite light demanding plant and does not like shade areas, isn't it?

Thanks Alex!
How do you find Hyg.Araguaia there?

Seems to do OKish in my tank. The plants shaded under the moss and branches have a shorter and much greener leaf - like the originally purchased plant. They get narrower, longer and browner under the full light (most obviously when they get near the surface. It also takes on a much deeper red/brown when viewed from above the tank.

Here’s a picture of the plant in the deep shade and full light:
16236675681_33cc82d578_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
How long do you grow it?
My Araguaia did not want to grow if there any sign of shade. It started to lack lower leaves, became leggy, eventually the lower part of stem rotted and plant started to float around looking for better life. In good bright light new leaves are always red. I wonder how it's possible to grow it in shade area for any long term.

Hi Alex, I’ve been growing it for about three months now. Couldn’t tell you why its taken to my tank… perhaps the leaves in the lighter parts support the shaded bits? These plants are fickle things and remain an utter mystery to me.

I have similar beasts in my shrimp tank. I guess they are cyclops. For some reason mine are mostly jumping at the bottom of the tank around grains of substrate.
I wonder how are you going to catch them to feed.

I think they usually hang around around the bottom due to the build up of debris where they will likely feed. You can siphon some up during water changes or try to catch some using a turkey baster.

That is really nice, the sundew should do very well in a setup like this. I too have a drosera capensis which I place in a takeaway box with water up to at least half of the pot all year round. This means that I did not have to water the plant a part from topping up the tub, so a setup like this should work out.

It would be great to acclimatise a sun pitcher and have it grow in there as well - I reckon the humidity is far to low to even attempt… but perhaps I'll give it a go gradually in the summer when the central heating is off? Monkey cups hanging from the light fitting - now that would be cool!

Hi all,
It would be great to acclimatise a sun pitcher and have it grow in there as well - I reckon the humidity is far to low to even attempt… but perhaps I'll give it a go gradually in the summer when the central heating is off? Monkey cups hanging from the light fitting - now that would be cool!
One of the smaller Nepenthes hybrids should be all right.

cheers Darrel

Back