• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatoon

Here's Lucky!

16141935080_5a9dc7911b_k.jpg

Caught this little fella out the corner of my eye doing six inch high flip flops on the lid of the tank, did about five or six of them then landed in a dry spot, I rushed for a pipette and filled it with tank water to flush the escapee back in the tank except it flip flopped down the tiny gap between tanks, luckily it got stuck to the glass half centimetre down so I was able to slide in my long tweezers flat and use the capillary action of a drop of water to transfer it onto them and then slowly lift out the gap at which point it flip flopped back on the lid, I quickly up ended the lid and flushed it into the tank with the pipette. I should have used a net over it instead of just the flush, close one, thing is I'm not sure if it's an escapee from the tank above on the shelf or if it's one of the four I put in the bottom Shrimp tank and its climbed onto the lid, if I see five CBS in there I'll know it's a migration from above.

16143125619_4505f3778d_k.jpg

I've moved the Buces into the main tank to get some co2, I had to move the Pink Lady back into the low tech a day later as the leaves had been attacked by shrimp, possibly too much light for that one compared to the others and the shrimp just taking advantage of the damaged tissues, there will be less light in the tank it eventually moves to so that shouldn't be a long term issue. Cherry Red and Black Gaia at the front, Brownie Ghost and Black Phantom are hiding on top of the bogwood, the Black Phantom has chucked out a couple of new leaves and the Plantlet on the Cherry Red is growing quickly also.

16328459942_9451dc0fe4_k.jpg

Loving the structure and surface colouration on the Cherry Red leaves!

16143130089_e39f0e6e7f_k.jpg

:)

I had run out of the Ebi Dama Special over the weekend and the shrimp had become very hungry, the NovoPrawn was largely being ignored, breaks down too quickly if there is a frenzy over it and they start playing 'grab the parcel' from whoever has a piece. Ordered some more on Monday night from John at APF (and a few other things) and less than 48hrs later they arrived this afternoon. 3 pieces of plain old Ebi Dama went in to see how they would react to it compared to the Special (have that again but going to feed that once a week), it appears to be liked as the baby spinach got ignored and even Moya was drawn out from the undergrowth (looking very berried, lots of blue berries!).

16148005919_c1fccca37b_k.jpg

Hopefully the new telescopic shrimp net I bought from APF will help me get the job done of catching a few of these later on and sticking them in the other tank.

Telescopic Shrimp Net is ace, bit of a challenge to capture the shrimp because of its small net but it's small enough for me to chase shrimp around my small tanks! Managed to get about 7 of them out of the walled tank into the one below, went just for the CBS and CRS, the rarities are staying put for the time being. Stopped at 7 because the ones I was after sussed that they were being targeted for eviction and went and hid behind the Anubias, whereas the Blue Bolts, Red Bolts, Golden Bees, Snow Whites, Wine Reds, Shadow Pandas and King Kongs all went about their business and ignored me when they saw I wasn't chasing them, crafty lot! Don't think the adult CRS in the other shrimp tank were impressed at the invasion, started a bit of a squabble, thankfully all calmed down now though. No idea if any of the CBS I moved were female (4 were sporting mums colours and pattern, so may be female), have to wait until one moults to find out if it starts a pheromone hunt among the male CRS.

Brown Trouser event!

16172246037_bf585b017e_k.jpg

16356378501_9c3440b85a_k.jpg

This is the spare bottle, I was sitting about a foot away from it (full and sitting in its box), had my last mouthful of dinner on my fork just about to shovel it in (a very tasty steak and ale pie from M&S) when there was an almighty bang immediately followed by extremely vigorous venting, and I'm surrounded by a cloud of co2, caused my family to panic as the bottle emptied in 10 seconds very noisily!

Opened all the windows and opened the doors for a bit as a safety precaution, opened the downstairs door also, probably would have been ok but not taking chances with an asphyxiant.

Ambient air temp less than 25c, but a little warmer today in the house than I usually like it.

Faulty burst valve or overfilled bottle?

:(

Yikes! Good thing you and your family are okay. I'm afraid I can't offer any explanation but it does make me wonder about the fe I'm using :nailbiting:

All's well that ends well :confused: ...maybe

I'm just glad it didn't happen in the car when I was transporting it home!

Never seen a cylinder go like this, ever, I know it happens, but at room temperature? Scary! It was stored upright so orientation isn't an issue. Thankfully the other bottle is up and running at 500psi stably since end of last week, it read 1800psi on the gauge when first connected up to a regulator and dropped over 5/6 days to level out at 500psi.

Both bottles dry weight 1.7kg, after filling they weighed 2.1kg and 2.08kg.

Head scratcher! Whole point of getting the UP cylinders was to avoid using an FE.

That was scary.
My thought is overfilled bottle. The bottles really should be filled by weight, not by pressure.
There should be info carved on the bottle itself about weight in empty and filled state. You'd better carefully check that info.

Have seen this happen, it's the main reason I stay away from pressurised CO2. Worked as a bartender or years and years, and every so often, a bottle would just go off like that, and even more violently (have had a bottle shoot through my bar once). From what I gathered from our supplier, is that this happens when they overfill the bottles, safer to fill them to max 90% apparently.

Glad to hear everyone's still safe!

I'm loving the Buceps also, the Pink Lady is back in the main tank again, looks like it's stabilised, as there's been no more attacks on the healthy leaves, however the Black Gaia looks like it's on its way out, at least the main growth portion, it's lost one whole leaf so far, it's not all bad as it has put out a couple of tiny leaves at the other end of the long roots, once it gets a little bigger I'll post a pic.

Thought I would post my RCS hauling themselves onto the sponge that sits above my crook, when they are feeling the co2 a little bit high they congregate on here in number, usually it's the larger adults that end up here, I think they also graze it for food as its growing a few things in it, I've seen them walk across the top of the sponge completely out the water.

16212938319_baaa71061c_h.jpg

A little closer!

16397428851_ae079ba87f_h.jpg

I popped some of the Ebi Dama Special in, I was going to do it at the weekend but the hoard looked hungry!

16213270567_230517120c_k.jpg

And if there were any doubts as to whether they are breeding or not with co2 injection and EI ferts, this shows that they are.

16398255842_a3cd3afc2a_k.jpg

I've been putting the new telescopic shrimp net to good use and fishing out the non Taiwan colours from the walled tank and putting them in the other tank, hopefully I can get them breeding in here.

16211765120_e2631990d5_k.jpg

Learnt an interesting fact about the pH of my Anubia walled tank the other day (I don't usually test this), thought it should be about 6.5ish like the rescaped one, turns out it's 7.5!

Stunning images :thumbup:

Hey

Glad to hear every ones okay.

Loving the photos and every thing, cannot believe how colourful they look

Did you get the bottle filled by forth fire protection?

Jonny

Hi Jonny, yes the tanks were filled by FFP, I know what the fill weight should be so there shouldnt be any issue with them being overfilled on the next visit.

Back