• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ammania sp. bonsai melting

I shall point out that Ive never stated Paulos case isnt CO2 deficiency. I was talking about the original poster. Who was not dosing EI. Just making sure.

Hi
Best try and receive some that is already established from another aquarium!
hoggie

Good point ;) That is a valuable thinking. I´ll see if some friend of mine as it.. here in Portugal. No too many cause most of them suffers the same..
I think i have only one friend here who does.
I´m going to ask him to send it in a box to be submerged with water of it´s own tank. What a great idea. Many thanks.
Many thanks indeed.

Julian,
Could be but and the others? They are definitely gorgeuos. And i planted Staurogyne and Fissidens Fontanus and guess..
They are gowing just fine and beauty. I put the Staurogyne right in the place where it was Amannia.. sorry mate but it can´t be the substrate.

How about putting some substrate in the breeding trap, planting the Ammania, move the breeding trap near the surface (keep the plant underwater) and see how it does? As I'm sure you already know, the CO2 concentration is higher at the surface, if the plant can survive up here while planted in the substrate, this tells you that there is not enough CO2 at the bottom of the tank.

Hi
Don't need to add water ask him to exhale Co2 from the mouth into the plastic bag..Make sure the plants are not too wet!
hoggie

Last edited:
I´ll see if some friend of mine as it.. here in Portugal. No too many cause most of them suffers the same..

Paulo, please don't say that. The last thread on Facebook i saw about your issue, i remember that many people said that it was an easy plant (i eve posted a pic from an aquarium from almost 2 years ago where it grew up as weed, just like Viktor did today on your post). Only one person said that it started to melt but it was now growing.
You obviously have an issue with this plant, but please accept that this is a fairly easy plant to grow!
Like i said you before, forget it. Try again on a next aquarium you make, using a good substrate if possible (i don't know what are you using).

Good luck :thumbup:

Pedro.

paulo why dont try set up another small tank , use the tank soil and water , plant 1-2 grow ammania sp and blast co2 into it to try ?

HI,
very nice discussion...
1-_DSC4110.jpg

Grab this amania from a friend in perfect conditions, planted and it melted!
Let the last bit's of plant in place and after some time the 'miracle happened' it recovered!
Why it melted? To less Co2? maybe, but still the same low level of Co2...
Happened the same thing with UG... Leave it floating for some time and then 'miracle' happened again...

Why 2 different plants melted? I just don't know.:)
Why they recovered in the same conditions? I also don't know.;)
Do i have poor Co2 level? Yes, for shure. But still having the same poor Co2 level and now they are growing well. :cool:

Observation is important. I always try to 'read' the plants needs.
I don't speak with them (for now) but they tell us a lot. Sometimes we are in a rush so we miss it.
Time is fundamental. We can't speed plants to our velocity. Actually, plants can help us to achieve the 'perfect timing' which is much slower... (not like in neuromancer)

Just for feeding the matrix rumors, miracles and believes:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15320720.800-stressed-plants-cry-for-help.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

cheers :cigar:

Last edited:
Hi Paulo
By what I can read you blame the tropics brand to have a problem, so try the amania from this web site.
http://www.floraquatic.com/ammannia-sp-bonzai.html

I am sure you will have the same issue !
It is not the brand mate !! It is definitely a CO2 issue ! Sorry to tell you that again and again....
Tropica or what ever brand it is not a problem of the origins of the plant.

If you suspect your substrate, it is not ! If you are dosing EI no need of rich substrate.
Pic of amania in plain sand.
ec2b0a8562fac2a9f4f7ca058c4a5358.jpg

Sorry to be rude or if I have frustrated you with my words I am not a mean person, but it is clearly a CO2 issue. Maybe you don't need to add CO2, it can be a flow problem or that the place where you have placed the plant I know that you have tried different places, but these different place had more light at one time and the other didn't had a good flow or .....

Cheers don't give up !!!
I have pass more than a year with a tank where what ever I putted in was dying to a "beautiful" tank. This is because every time I was suspecting CO2 (flow, aeration, position of the diffuser etc ...)

CO2 is a b**ch

Cheers

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: tim
Evening people!
By no means i ever get upset with anyone here. I know this is a passion of us. And sometimes passions do include more than nice words.
It´s up to us to get a well understanding of what is being writen and not a diagonal reading or with a blanked eye.

I´m not blaming Tropica brand it self. Of course our tanks are the essential key.
I intend to say that we all should deliver this issue to them. Gracious Claim! And they should show more attention to it. And i don´t see that happening

We aquarists are the ones who´s dealing with is by ourselves and trying to find a solution. They are the producers. They should know what is hapenning and be a part of the solution! Is that asking to much?
At list show more care. They could request all information they need to us, gathered information, see if there´s a common issue between all cases, see the collection point of the plants, country or lab etc etc. .

I work in the Automobile Industry. And one of my principal delegations is precisely like this.
If more than a client claims about something in the same car/model/year etc etc.., i do expertise testing, disassembling an intire car if need so, or plus, to find a common point of the cause that is being claimed.

We live in a global world where information runs at a nano fraction and the companies must pay good attention of whats being surrounding their products.

Best compliments to all.

You say Co2 is the cause of melting. Well i know change in temperature triggers melting. Is this really a temperature change issue or does it have something to do with co2 levels in water at different temps?
Hello,
Yes. Please review this chart from engineeringbox.com
The vertical axis is the solubility of CO2 and the horizontal axis is the temperature.
Can you see that as water temperature increases the solubility of the gas in the water decreases substantially?
So even though you are pumping the same injection rate into the water, less gas is actually dissolved.
At the same time, increasing the temperature increases the metabolic rate of the plants, so their demand for CO2 actually increases at the same time that it's availability decreases.
Not only can you trigger melting just by increasing the temperature, but you can also trigger CO2 related algal blooms just by a temperature increase.
solubility-co2-water.png

Cheers,

I have to chime in on this thread :rolleyes: the best experiment you'll ever carry out is a tank full of plants with no livestock IMHO we are all trying to be gardeners but have to CARE far too much about our livestock to get the most out of our plants, IF you Carry out this experiment you will see how little light And co2 you need to stock your tank with fish and choose plants you know you can grow instead of chasing plants you want to grow, I haven't been able to grow a single stem of staurogyne in a tank with fish but I can carpet a 20x20 cm tank in a month without them ;) buy a small tank and see if Clive's right :).

Hello,
Yes. Please review this chart from engineeringbox.com
The vertical axis is the solubility of CO2 and the horizontal axis is the temperature.
Can you see that as water temperature increases the solubility of the gas in the water decreases substantially?
So even though you are pumping the same injection rate into the water, less gas is actually dissolved.
At the same time, increasing the temperature increases the metabolic rate of the plants, so their demand for CO2 actually increases at the same time that it's availability decreases.
Not only can you trigger melting just by increasing the temperature, but you can also trigger CO2 related algal blooms just by a temperature increase.
solubility-co2-water.png

Cheers,
Thank you Ceg. Very helpful diagram. I need to be upping co2 again then by the look of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Ceg. Very helpful diagram. I need to be upping co2 again then by the look of it
Hi,
Well, again, as argued previously, it may be that there are alternate ways to improve CO2 uptake, whether by improving flow/distribution, improving gas dissolution techniques, reducing light intensity, reducing plant mass, revising the aquascape and so on and so forth.

Cheers,

Hi,
Well, again, as argued previously, it may be that there are alternate ways to improve CO2 uptake, whether by improving flow/distribution, improving gas dissolution techniques, reducing light intensity, reducing plant mass, revising the aquascape and so on and so forth.

Cheers,
I understand. I'm happy with my lighting for now. Flow in my tank is an issue, I know this and I've tried to improve it. The layout of my tank doesn't lend itself to good flow. I've learnt to deal with this though by clever plant placements. For now I am able to up co2 injection rates as my fish do not struggle, even though this might not be the best answer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back