• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How far does it go?

russell

Seedling
Hi folks,

I have found my log and will shortly embark on laying out and plating up my 19 litre Fluval Spec tank. Once I've ordered the relevant items of course.

however, before I order anything - I was going to use ADA Aquasoild Amazonia powder to do this but wondered how much I'd need? On the face of it a 3 litre bag would occupy about 16% of the volume of the tank filling it to a depth of a little more than 4cm. Would this be the case or does it settle or take up more space when laid down? or am I just taking 3 litres of aquasoil too literally?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thank you, that hadn't been on my radar but I'll give it some thought, might be useful if my 3 litre bag doesn't fill as much as I'd like ;)

That sounds about right for a Spec - the volume calculators work very well for substrates, as long as you don't change your mind about slopes (I always buy extra so I can play with slope).

Well I did want a slope in there so I know it's touch and go, but I don't mind a thinner section at one end in order to get a mount at the other. More would be nice but buying another 3 litres is a lot of money to spend in case I need a bigger hill. Mr naughtymoose's offer may come in useful in order to build hills :)

As Andy says, I'd not buy another 3l of ADA - local shop has Fluval, ADA & Tropica soil set up in display tanks, I really like the Tropica. (unlike ADA no ammonia release, plants are doing very well)

Thanks folks, I could maybe use some gravel from existing tank to bulk up with, should also help with the initial cycle. Also, given this is a brand new Tank I will have to cycle would an Ammonia spike not help? (fish-less cycle), but I'll have a look at the Tropica, I'm not yet fully wedded to ADA but I think the looks are right for what I want.

Last edited:
Back