• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glass Cleaning

The small scourering sponges pack of 10 from the pound shop job done ;)

Id really like to get my hands on one of those metal scrapers for my nano. You dont mess the plants or get your hands wet with it.

For my marine tank I have a Flipper magnet cleaner/scraper, brilliant on marine for removing hard coraline algae but not sure in a planted

I dont like magnets so much because there is always the corners which you cant really clean.

This is the best method I've come up with. It's an old algae scraper with the blade removed

Two balls of filter floss tied on with fishing line.
It's great for getting the lilies clean, behind wood and the glass,.

Also great for dragging snails up the glass for removal.:D

02e9835044758c379bca40335bad81fe.jpg

I dont like magnets so much because there is always the corners which you cant really clean.
And drag substrate along the glass if your not carefull, a friend of mine has trashed his optiwhite tank this way.

And drag substrate along the glass if your not carefull, a friend of mine has trashed his optiwhite tank this way.
My second hand Vision 180 has scrapes from the previous owner using a magnetic cleaner and dragging gravel across the glass.

I use a cheap long-handled scraper with a removable steel blade. I made the mistake of using an old green washing-up scourer on an old tank… it badly scratched the glass with a web of tiny scratches. I don't know if it was the scourer or if it picked up grit from the substrate. Anyway, I'm guessing steel is softer than glass and harder to pick up grit. Worked well so far.

A clean paper towel folded into fourth's.

Old toothbrush and pieces of old common sponges for glass cleaning... If needed an old plastic card for scraping algae

Jordi

Protip: no matter what you use to clean your glass, be careful not to get any substrate on said tool. A plastic scraper might not scratch the glass, but a small piece of rock stuck between the two will.

Best thing I've found so far.

16022351764_65b3d2a321_b.jpg

16437348887_e7d70577e3_b.jpg

That's one half of a pair of long planting tweezers that came apart at the spot welds, a small cut out portion is wrapped around the handle and cable tied very tightly in place. Great at dislodging diatoms from the glass, GSA requires a little more pressure, polishes the glass nicely afterwards, zero scratches, also as it's quite thin compared to a magnet cleaner so I can be quite vigorous with it at the glass and not worry about creating a tidal wave in the tank, it also does a very good job of cleaning the silicone seams inside the tank, handle can be bent so I can reach the hard to get places under the tank rim.

Delighted!

:)

Back