• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres

Really is a great looking scape :clap:

Hi all,
Yes it is getting a bit wild!
Perfect tank.
I’m starting to wonder if the plants growing above the surface will eventually completely cover the central part of the tank - that would be a really great planting opportunity with a whole new range of plants to experiment with
Go for it. I haven't got a picture but I used to have a big plant of Heteranthera zosterifolia that eventually formed floating leaves and flowered, it added a whole new dimension.

cheers Darrel

From "Green Pekoe Pond" to "Green Pekoe Bog"! Looks awesome mate!
Yes, should be dry land within a few years! This is all a bit of an experiment, but I really fancy evolving the pond into part bog.

The plants are doing a fantastic job at putting down the foundations of a central island - the Hygrophila Araguaia is quite woody above the surface and will grow a nice scaffolding for the two islands to span the gap and create a floating raft (I may need some extra wood for support). Just need to balance this with making sure the plants at the bottom get their fair share of the light.

Heteranthera zosterifolia
I just had a look on google and seen they produce beautiful purple flowers - would look lovely.

Really is a great looking scape
Thanks Ady!

Death star superlaser set to full power… I know I’m going to regret this little experiment.

The Radion XR15 freshwater is fully operational.
16660812802_732a057394_c_d.jpg

Quick update of the tank... I don't know if I'm into the odd disco colour effects the new light causes on the wall. I'm going to have to play with the colours as its very cold and blue/violet. Maybe knockout some of the blue.

My new Heliamphora is a bit of an experiment. If it works I'll be happy - if it doesn't make it it's always good to try these things!
16041172814_b509c36ab2_c_d.jpg

16663476925_f6a0b6b775_c_d.jpg

16043544173_809fdb0b27_c_d.jpg

Aww that's lush

Are your emergent stems planted in anything?
Initially I tied already emerged growth cuttings on with cotton to a little pad of terrestrial moss, the moss has pretty much turned into a peaty mush with the roots just dangling into the water. The roots have got quite long but don’t reach the substrate. They're quite secure now even with the cotton rotted away.

Yes, just got my fingers crossed with the pitcher - I don’t think the CP community would approve of my semi-submerged approach but a lot of the pictures of Heliamphora growing in the wild show them growing in ponds with some of them almost totally covered with water. I think the local humidity close to the water surface should help… but saying that, I admit, I’m guessing at the whole thing!

I'd definitely raise it up, so the base is just out of the water.
I think i'll perhaps give that a go. - its piggy-backing on some anubias bonsai at the moment.

Hi all,
I don’t think the CP community would approve of my semi-submerged approach but a lot of the pictures of Heliamphora growing in the wild show them growing in ponds with some of them almost totally covered with water
It will be interesting to see, it would be brilliant if they will grow "wet".

It may well be different in the tank. A lot of plants grow well wet in moving water, but don't do so well in standing water (so presumably an oxygen effect). In the tank the water will be oxygenated and moving.

I admired the ones at RBG Kew late last year (they are in the small "carnivorous plant" glasshouse wing off the Princess of Wales conservatory, in the N. corner by the door).

It is not my picture, but the one on the bottom definitely looks like it is "aquatic emergent".

Heliamphora_nutans2.jpg

cheers Darrel

Looks great! Are the rest of the plants not suffering from the shade that your submerged plants are creating?
There's some pretty intense light at the bottom where the carpeting plants grow. The plants seem fine growing in the shade as long as a portion of the plant is also in full light. The shaded areas are actually quite interestingin their own respect with the plant's leaf shape and colour showing adaptation while growing in these parts. There's an area towards the back courner which has been completely taken over by a deep moss carpet - out competed hairgrass and HC to win its space.

The fish also really enjoy the darker u areas and mass of hiding places.

Last edited:
I watched this tank from the start and have really enjoyed the transformations its made. What is the submerged moss on the left hand horizontal branch?

What is the submerged moss on the left hand horizontal branch?
Hi there, glad you've enjoyed my little tank's journey! The moss is Riccardia chamedryfolia - I really like the way it stays compact with zero trimming, I've literally done nothing to it and its formed nice mounds which have grown into each other - surprisingly solid and bouncy.

Ok thanks, a nice little plant, I would like to use some but to get even coverage over wood I think the blender/yoghurt dry start is best, how did you attach it?

I'm also curious about the pitcher plant. I have a small collection and usually (the ones I have) require a winter dormant period.

Hi all,
I'm also curious about the pitcher plant. I have a small collection and usually (the ones I have) require a winter dormant period.
That is the advantage of Heliamphora spp. They come from relatively high altitude close to the equator in Venezuela etc. so they don't experience any seasons, just a cooler night.

I used to have a Darlingtonia californica & several Dionaea muscipula in the lab. in "goldfish bowls" (on a NE facing Window sill) and they did well until we had double glazing installed and no effective thermostat. The Dionaea had been there for ~20 years.

Whether it was the lower humidity, or the warmer temperatures, they all departed pretty rapidly in the first winter after installation, along with all the sphagnum moss and native Drosera. The year before installation of the double glazing we had a series of very cold nights and that killed the <"Utricularia graminifolia"> from this thread.

I've still got Pinguicula "moranensis".

cheers Darrel

how did you attach it?
A year ago I shoved a few tiny bits in between some anubis and a hole in the end of one of the twigs while the tank was flooded. If I do a dry start again, I'm defiantly going to give the blended moss milkshake a go.

Something like this you don't see everyday
I really loved these pictures of wetlands with little islands of Sarracenia and Drosera and wanted to take my little pond towards this direction:
http://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread/86/purpurea-tom-swamp

The dormant period for a lot of CPs was always going to be an issue if I wanted to grow these indoors, so I knew I had to choose a plant from the tropics. Another issue was the high light these plants need to thrive - hence why I'm trying my new gigawatt nuclear laser light. Is the light strong enough, is the lighting period long enough, is it humid enough above the tank and can sun pitchers grow semi submersed over the long-term? I guess we're going to find out.

I used to have a Darlingtonia californica & several Dionaea muscipula in the lab. in "goldfish bowls" (on a NE facing Window sill) and they did well until we had double glazing installed and no effective thermostat. The Dionaea had been there for ~20 years.

Darlingtonia californica is a truly amazing looking plant and who doesn't love venus fly traps! I really love the picture of the Utricularia graminifolia in flower - my little submersed patch is hanging on and pushing back the Hemianthus cuba. Above the waterline, the HC has won the battle.

Back