• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New scape in the works.

Garuf

Hello, so stagnation of scape, uni and a busy social schedule has seen both of my tanks go from thriving, the only issues being dissatisfaction with the original hardscape to massive jungles of algae.
December the 12th sees Ukaps descend upon TMG and I'm seeing this as the perfect opportunity to splash and out get a really special scape.
This is my initial idea based around a left to right arrangement:
idea1rx5.png

All I need really would be to find some suitable wood. I'd like to reuse my ferns and anubias so on the wood I'd attach anubias petite bolbitis and needle and narrow java fern,I'd also reuse the mosses I've picked up along the way.
Anyone have any suggestions on everything else? I'd really like to give hiargrass a go but I don't know if it'd look right.
As always criticism is openly encouraged.

Sexy. :p

No, seriously I'm a big fan of your scapes so I know it'll be great. If you just keep the hardscape like that and get the planting how it was when you did that scape with the french name then it'll be awesome for sure.

For planting, I think you've got a good idea in mind. The mix of what I call 'jungle leaved' plants like ferns and anubias will look great with the sort of grassy look of hairgrass, bolbitis and moss. Any other plants that go with those two themes would look good IMO, maybe Crypt Wendtii and E Tenellus (I don't think you were a fan of these in your previous scape though?) or maybe Crypt Parva for a smaller option - really nice plant. Then maybe some HC for the foreground and Rotala green for the back but it might be nice to stay quite low-tech what with your busy schedule.

Are you planning to plant right accross the tank or have a sand foreground/right hand side?

(I love it when you tech-savvy guys get on photoshop or whatever and knock up scape plans. It makes me so jealous and fills me with inspiration. lol)

Paint... photoshop is for jesses. :p
Thanks for the tips, low maintenance is going to be the key word with this scape, Ideally I'd like to do away with stems entirely or at least get something a bit different in there (I can't get stems to grow in that ada way everyone loves to save my life).
I was thinking blyxa rather than E t, I really do begrudge that stuff, it's just never what you want.
I wasn't going to do a sand foreground, not in this tank anyway. ;)

I really want to try and break the norm with this tank but I'm finding it hard.

It looks the 'dogs cahuna's' mate :D , How big is the tank gonna be?
I really hope you can find some similar wood to your sketch :) coz it looks awesome 8)

Blyxa would be good I think.

Being original is good, but there's nothing wrong with following the trend if it looks good and you like it. Especially in this hobby, most things seem to have been done at least once.

Thanks guys, I'd really like to give crypts another go my first experiance with them wasn't great. I think parva would be the way to go. The tank btw is 60x30x30 I was planning on going larger and custom but finances don't allow.
Other plants I'd like to use are as follows: Downoi, stragauye and vallis (possibly that crypt that looks like vallis but isn't).

I'm going to crack on and do another Ms Paint drawing and see where it gets me.
I just hope I can find some suitable wood.
Here's a scape similar to what I have in my minds eye.
M05.jpg

I'm not strictly going low tech, just lowering the level of maintenance, I'll still be carrying out EI and co2 dosing, I'm just planning on using plants that will take longer to form a completed scape and require less teasing than stems.

Should look good. The only thing I don't like about the example you gave is that it doesn't look that 'grown in'. The plants are really low and it doesn't work for me.

(Not your paint example, the photo of the actual scape.) Your Paint exampleould looks good though, should be great.

I like it a lot mate. I would only say that to me, it doesn't look that original. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but as you said in your initial post you wanted to try and go with something different.

I think it will look good :)

This is very true.
Back to the drawing board!

it may not be original, but, you certainly have a skill in foreseeing what the finished article will look like. vision mate. now its just about producing something left of middle ;) i wish i could do that, rather than the hit and hope aproach...ive been lucky so far. I will fall one day, im sure.

Thanks Mark, I've been scratching my head all day and I think I can make more of the tank if I rely less on the wood as a hardscape and more as a planting aid.
The Idea I have in my head is something like a long branch running left to right again covered in ferns and anubias coming from a thicket of something like diplidandra... Infact, it's not all that dissimilar to what I've already drawn. I might just scratch that all together. Alternatively I was thinking going for a more vertical arrangement with all the ferns on a vertical branch in one corner a few branches leading to centre and a hairgrass/hc meadow.
Then again... Iwagumi anyone? :lol: :rolleyes:

I personally love Iwangumi's that's why my cube is going to be rescaped as one...
I also really like wood based scapes, so that's where I'm going with this scape, I just wish I could find some nice wood to work with.

Back