• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixing Apistogramma

Vinkenoog1977

Hey guys,

I'm planning a new 120 cm./ 240 ltr. tank. This will be an Amazon-biotope-ish tank, with a sandy bottom, lots and lots of driftwood and leaf litter, and some Echinodorus (Bleheri, Magdalensis and Parviflora) with drifters (L. Laevigatum). It's main inhabitants will be 6 Angelish (Black Scalare) and a pair of Ancistrus. There will also be a harem (1M 3F) of Apistogramma Ramirezi. I also have a harem of Apistogramma Cactuoides (1M 3F) in another tank that I want to rehouse to this new tank The question is obvious: will this work? I'm reading conflicting reports online, so I come back to the horse's mouth, so to speak. They are all very mellow, no agression between them whatsoever, except for the female bullying the male when there was just the two of them, and the male was smaller and much younger than the female (this is the Cactuoides I'm talking about; the Ramirezi are super chill). The new tank will be, as said, done with quite a bit of driftwood, especially on the bottom, as to create several zones and nooks and crannies. There will also be 6-10 coconut halves as breeding caves hidden under the wood and in the sand. I'm hoping/ thinking this might give them enough space and seperate territory to work out.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

You can give it a go, but I'd have a tank ready to move either group into.
You might try setting the hardscape so that there is an open area separating the AC & MR zones, also incorporate some height to reduce visibility lines.
If the angels begin breeding, all heck may happen or they may all coexist quite well (when I had an angel pair decide to eradicate tankmates, it was done overnight with no warning, they'd spawned several times previously)

Is the first species you're talking about Mikrogeophagus ramirezi? I don't know of an Apistogramma ramirezi. If that is the species you're referring to, they should get on quite well in such a set up. Just be mindful that they're not harem spawners so your two extra females will only serve to increase competition for territory. I'd personally wait for a pair to form and remove the extra females. That should leave just enough space for the A. cacatuoides group as well.

Back