• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Signs of deficiency , E.I, floating plants.

BexM

Hello. I am getting really fed up with my tank. Here are the details.

55(ish) gallon bow front.
Eheim 2217.
Spray bar along the back running the whole length.
Diy Co2 fed into the filter intake.
2x39w t8 (I tried t5s but the problem is worse)

16 harlequin rasbora
1 SAE
2 german blue ram

Problem: pale growth, big dark veins, stunting, wrinkles and curling.

I am dosing pre mixed e.i and had initially thought that it was a co2 problem so I lowered the light and did my best to maximise flow and co2 absorption. I cant afford pressurised and the thought of a pressurIsed canister under the tank freaks me out because of my kids. I used to be a welder so you think it wouldn't bother me but it does!.

But now I can see problems with the mini water lettuce and as they are not limited by co2 that must mean it's something else right?

Could they be sucking up all the goodies and leaving none for the rest of the plants as they are spreading really fast?

Last edited:
de3d7285dda2bfaa221c3fc093d7d067.jpg

d094fa2ed2b0ce6f5354ae59be7c3653.jpg

d8f4e4cab8a07afce8c6b7a75eba209d.jpg

I'm using the e.I starter kit from aquariumplantfood.com and following the instructions. So it's mixed in a bottles and dosed alternate days.

The symptoms you describe sound like nutrient deficiencies so I would suggest increasing the dosage and see how this goes. Maybe start with 1.5 X the dosage?
Ok, good idea. Do you think getting rid of the floaters might help?

Sorry for all the pictures. I've been seeing just about every symptom you can get. Even pinholes in older leaves but I think that seems to have got better.

What kind of substrate do you use? Nutrient-poor or nutrient-rich? Can you post a picture of the whole tank also (front view)?

I did have dirt in there but then I got an infestation of aquatic worms that kept leaving casts on the surface. Then dirt would get all over the plants and in the water column. So I removed the dirt and used tetra initial sticks and a mix of dorset pea gravel and a special gravel for plants that is porous...can't remember the name.

Thats why I started e.i dosing as well.

I have some experience with the issue of some plants not growing well (or at all) in nutrient-poor substrates. So there is a possibility that some plants may not grow well unless you plant them into some good substrate (although it should help if you use some nutrient sticks). It's definitely wrong to assert that all plants should do well under EI dosing regardless of the substrate used. Try to grow different plants in EI water without any substrate and you'll see what am I speaking about.

I could try to add some root tabs. I'm puzzled by the floating plants though because they seem to be showing similar symptoms as the anubias.

Hi all,
But now I can see problems with the mini water lettuce and as they are not limited by co2 that must mean it's something else right?
I'd try upping the amount of nitrogen and potassium (you can just add KNO3 if you have that separately?), and after that magnesium (as Epsom Salts Mg SO4.7H2O).

If your tank water is very hard? it maybe iron (Fe) or magnesium (Mg) deficiency, caused by the ratio of Ca:Mg, or the limited availability of Fe at high pH values.

You can see some "interveinal chlorosis" (see image below) on the older Water Lettuce and Anubias leaves, and magnesium is very mobile within the plant, whilst Iron isn't.
citruschlorosis.jpg

Could they be sucking up all the goodies and leaving none for the rest of the plants as they are spreading really fast?...........2x39w t8 (I tried t5s but the problem is worse)
The fact that the Water Lettuce is growing well shows that the tank it isn't majorally deficient in any of the macro nutrients.

The other thing you need to remember is that chlorophyll is a protein, and its synthesis makes quite high demands on the plant. The plant will only synthesise as much chlorophyll as it needs to harvest the available light.

Lots of light = less green plants.

If you have more light than the plant can utilise the additional light energy will begin to damage the chlorophyll. These are what Clive memorably described as <"photon torpedoes">.

Personally I'd keep the floaters, you can always thin them to 50% cover once a week.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
dorset pea gravel
Assuming that is the cream coloured limestone gravel? That makes it more likely it is a problem with the Ca:Mg ratio.

If it is the multicoloured flint gravel? it may include chalk. If it is entirely flint based? it won't effect water chemistry.

Looking at the last photo you definitely seem to have plenty of light. I'd expect to growth pick up as the tank becomes more mature and you begin to get zones with reduced oxygen levels in the substrate.

cheers Darrel

Have you thought about not using CO2 as your lighting level should be in the low light level with 2xT8s, this should slow everything down. You might even consider using liquid carbon rather than DIY. Seems strange to have deficiency when your light is at this level.

Back