• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Dimmer solution - BUT

Thanks Ian you clearly know more than me...

As I understand it the Aquasky power supply is continuously regulating it's voltage output to deliver a constant 0.91A current. Using the Dim 12c dimmers means the power supply has to work harder to achieve this because in effect the load it is supplying is constantly changing because of the dimmers rapid on and off cycling....

As I understand it the Aquasky power supply is continuously regulating it's voltage output to deliver a constant 0.91A current
Correct. Voltage will vary to always force 0.91A through the LED's, within limits of course, which is why the max voltage is quoted. If you connect two Aquasky LED units in series the power supply would not be able to drive them as to drive 0.91A through both would required 50V - 68V and maximum output voltage is quoted 34V.

Using the Dim 12c dimmers means the power supply has to work harder to achieve
Probably not, but we don't know the design of the Aquasky power supply, so may or may not work, however most constant current LED power supplies I have seen are designed to cope with a current switching load for when they are used with a dimmer.

Hi all, interesting thread, I have been looking for a dimming solution for my Aquasky 451, would the dimmer posted be OK (warnings aside), the adapter for the 451 is rated 0.65A, 25-34V. Cheers.

Very interesting read - thank you Chris.

I've just un boxed my 601 and the Mrs hates it - she's complaining it's far too bright. It also doesn't help that its higher over the tank than my last light. So I'm either going to have to return it and go back to the drawing board, move my tank (which I'm going to try tomorrow) or go for this dimmer.

The dimmer looks like the best option, and i think I'm going to bite the bullet and get it.

Thanks again for all your research and effort!

Phil

Hi Chris, I'm thinking of trying one of these dimmers (I've only got a cheapy Chihiro copy though), is it still working ok?

The thing is the dimmer switch is more than I paid for my light! Is anyone using a cheaper one?

Cheers

James

Hi James, yes still working fine on my tank. It's been just over a month but working fine, I have the light dimmed a lot at the moment as my new tank establishes itself. I agree, I had to question my sanity buying this but as I already had the aquasky and a quick google didn't show up any obvious alternatives I bit the bullet. Let us know if you find possible alternatives. Cheers.

I like the two Chris's thing...

Mine are working fine as well and really make the Aquaskys far more flexible. TMC do a dimmer for about £14.00 that may be suitable but I suspect it's the wrong voltage. I couldn't find any detailed info with a quick Google.

Cheers
Chris

s, while the dimmer is painfully expensive for what it is, it has meant that I can use my A
Hi Chris, I'm thinking of trying one of these dimmers (I've only got a cheapy Chihiro copy though), is it still working ok?

The thing is the dimmer switch is more than I paid for my light! Is anyone using a cheaper one?

Cheers

James

Hi James, might be too late for you, but you can get cheap dimmers from the Chihiro supplier on ebay for about £4. I have one and it works fine.

To those using the dimmer options on their ADA Aquasky 601/602s, are they still working out OK, any problems?

I may be getting one and would be useful to know beforehand whether I can get an affordable and safe (whilst not guaranteed!) dimming option.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Which option are you using for the Aquasky?

If I do get the 601 I need to choose between the £40 and £15 option really.

Hi, The £4 ebay dimmer referenced above is rated to 24v, the but the Aquaskys are 34v so that is quite a big difference. I wouldn't use a £3-4 dimmer on a £200/£400 light but maybe that's just me, but in my experience cheap is cheap and usually ends up costing...

On an Aquasky I'd go with the costly option or not bother with a dimmer at all. I don't think the £40 dimmer is £40 because its a rip off but rather because its a fine piece of kit designed and made in the UK on UK labour rates.

Cheers
Chris

no expert on this but is there something to look out for ? if not why ada itself doesnt come out with a optional dimmer controller ?

another thing is when i diy my own led , i had to buy dimmable meanwell led driver instead of a cheaper non dimmable led driver , does that mean i can just get the non dimmable driver and just connect to those dimmable knobs ?

Back