• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue in Green

James D

Yay, time for a new Journal.

This time I've gone for manzanita wood and moss with a nice bright sandy substrate again. I was thinking about using 100% moss but I might try a few other plants here and there.

I managed to get hold of a Chihiro 'Aquasky' very cheaply recently which seems incredibly bright in comparison to all my previous lighting so I'm going to go back to the pressurized CO2 this time.

Purely by accident I've gone for a dry start, I've got a spare tank roughly the size of my P60 which I as using to arrange my wood, it struck me that I could spread out the work a bit by doing it in stages so last night I made a start on the moss tying, added a bit of water and spare heater and hey-presto. The Mrs isn't to pleased I've left it on the kitchen table though :lol:.

All the wood is attached together and screwed to a large bit of slate so when I clean out my tank I can drop it in easily enough, I might try it this weekend time permitting.

Specs:

Tank : ADA 60-P
Filter: Eheim 350 Experience
Light: Chihiro 601 with dimmer
Heater: Hydor in line
Pressurised CO2
EI Dosing

Flora:
Christmas Moss
Vallisneria Nana
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Fissidens Fontanus

Fauna:
12 Diamond Head Neon Tetras
3 Amano Shrimps

P1040890.jpg

P1040893.jpg

Sorry about the crappy photos, thought I'd better show something.

Last edited:
What a spectacular piece of wood. it's going to give you a great start in your new tank - looking forward to seeing this progress.:thumbup:

Yes that's looking good. I'm growing tired of our bog wood had it a few years now:) The manzanita shapes are far more interesting.

That's a great unique Piece of Manzanita you have...
Looking forward to the final planted Image!

Subscibed! ;)

Cheers, it's actually 15 pieces screwed together. Luckily I had quite a bit to choose from although I have been arranging it and re-arranging it for months! :crazy:

Well it's looking a bit crappy at the moment but it's far from the finished hardscape, I decided to get the wood into the tank as it was getting a bit mouldy. This is just the main piece of wood, I still need to add more and decide on my rocks but I ran out of time.

photo_2.jpg

photo_1.jpg

Edit: Sorry about the crappy iphone photos

Hi James

Really like it. I think it will be even better once it grows as we will still be able to enjoy the stunning driftwood hardscape

Jordi

The pictures are small, but I like this very much....I was trying to make something like this for the shop I sometimes help out with scaping some tanks, but the owner didn't see a commercial value...I think she is mistaken.
She is definitely mistaken... it is an awesome display tank for shrimps and Corydoras...

Jordi

Reminds me of that island in the film life of pi. Couple of mths well spent mate. Like some alien sqid tree type of wrestling going on.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Some puffers would love that, awesome wood work.

You could be right, I'm going to leave it for a few weeks before stocking though.

I did a bit more work yesterday, unfortunately the scape isn't that photogenic though, it does have a nice sense of depth in real life. Anyway, I'm not quite finished yet but I'm getting there.....

P1040898.jpg

I need to let it settle down a bit and then I'll think about some new plants. I've also got a bit of a green hairy algae appearing already, must have been a hitchhiker on the moss I bought.:(

I really like this. I love scapes that look like natural tree roots growing into the water, it is such a natural environment for fish, and I'm not sure I have seen it done better than here. Personally I think you don't need the extra stone, it looks great with clean with the wood and sand and small gravel.

Also interested to see how the lighting works out. I just bought the same unit for my nano, which I am still yet to flood after a dry start. Your scape doesn't seem heavily planted, are you not worried about the amount of light given the slow growing moss and ferns? Also did you get the "remote" controller for the lighting unit? Mine seems to work well and has lots of graduated settings so potentially great intensity control, but it only comes on when switched on with a timer at half strength when the remote unit is plugged in. I can't work out how to set the "default" higher or lower.

Back