• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Terrascaping (poison dart frog vivarium)

TOO

Hi all,

It has been a while since I was active here. After the summer I decided it was time for a different challenge. I kept poison dart frogs some years ago, and felt the urge to go there again. The vivarium is 70x40x50. It is built as an aquarium; that is, has no drain or false bottom and is accessed through the top (contrary to most vivaria, where access is through front doors). I had a light frame built at the top and two pieces of glass with 20 x 3 cm holes specially made (see below). The main challenge was to avoid condensation, but the numerous holes in combination with a computer fan on top of the glass (removed here for photographs) keeps the glass totally free of condensation. Frogs are not visible here, but are 2.2 Dendrobates truncatus. I will post some photos once I manage to capture them out. They just produced their first tadpoles. Compared to the planted tank this is low maintenance. A few sprayings a day and feeding every second day is all it takes. I kind of enjoy not having to change water constantly and not worrying about algae :). I hope you enjoy. Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer.

16637835009_80188c6803_d.jpg

16822881872_9cd26ca297_d.jpg

16616694027_2e6535bc35_d.jpg

16201607144_95887d1a57_d.jpg

Some bucephalandra and Anubias "mini".

16636588330_a15b711a8e_d.jpg

Bolbitis difformis. Grows slowly but well.

16616672657_dc5062dfcc_d.jpg

Pleurothallis orchid: Grows well, but has not bloomed yet.

Thanks, guys. On a side note I used ADA Amazonia as substrate in the vivarium. This works really well. Surprising that this is not used in the frog hobby more. So a lot of reuse from aquascaping (to which I will surely return) :). In fact, it is strange that froggers are not more readily applying some of the principles from the nature aquarium.

Thomas

Hi Too, How is the vivarium going?? Hope the frogs are well.

They are, but I sold them a couple of weeks ago. After a year with frogs I am taking a step back into the world of water. I have a couple of fun projects going and hope to show some of it in some months. Alternating between projects is what inspires me. Frogs are just on pause for the moment.

T

They are, but I sold them a couple of weeks ago. After a year with frogs I am taking a step back into the world of water. I have a couple of fun projects going and hope to show some of it in some months. Alternating between projects is what inspires me. Frogs are just on pause for the moment.

T
Same here Aquascaping Using trimmings to build Wabi-kusa:) Then the Grandson took me in another direction :woot: Back to being a child again and the wonders of nature.

Looking forward to seeing your new projects ;)

Back