• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Lighting for under a hood of a custom 60CM

Aeropars

Hi Guys,

I've only ever had a Juwel Rio 180 and its probably a bit too big for me being able to keep the tank how I want it.

I'm going to get a custom TMC Signature clone from Aquariums Ltd as I'm only allowed a new tank if it has a hood to prevent the cats getting in it!
mat%20stadia%20cabinet%20TT1.jpg

The lighting will therefore be mounted on the underside of the hood. I was thinking of the TMC range of LED lights for this.

So what would you go with? The Grobeam 600 or the Ultima 1500? I was thinking the Ultima might not give enough spread on the 60cm width.

Whats your thoughts?

Hey. I am not familiar with the tank so can't comment on which unit to get.

What I will say, as a Grobeam user, make sure you budget for the controller. The lights are incredibly bright at 100%.

If you are just using 1 or 2 Grobeams, you can get the 2 channel controller which is about £80.

Aaron

Are you saying its 60cm long?

For me the decision here is whether you can get away with one grobeam 600, or whether you should buy a twin pack. The 1500 is slightly more than the price of a twin pack, and from what I've read the extra power isn't going to be something you can make use of, as it's like a deathray at 100% anyways. I think it's more suited to suspension above the tank. As you've said, the 600 will have more uniform spread, too. You can save ~£20 by buying twin 600s, vs ~£40 if you realise you only need to buy one.

edit: http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106998

there is also mention here of a single grobeam 600 being ~35 micromols at 40cm from the light, which is "medium" light. Two would be high light, and you'd need your CO2 spot on before you could crank them up to full.

Last edited:
I have a TMC 600, I plan on using 2 of these as a lid. I actually have one at home but haven't tested it to see if it fits, I'm sure it will though.

I was thinking the Ultima might not give enough spread on the 60cm width.
I agree, I don't think a single tile a few cms from the surface is going to work for you. You need some distance between the light and the surface to get a nice, even spread. You'll end up with dark corners and a spotlight in the middle.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Perhaps something to help quell the debate as to 1 vs 2 Grobeams then...

I'll be injecting pressurised CO2.
Filter will be a Eheim Pro 3 2080 running on full whack and I'll have a Koralia in standby if needed.
I'm not going for high light however having the option is appealing.
No idea on plants yet. Probably a mixture of stems and crypts and i'd like to have a go at a HC carpet or something like that.

tank if it has a hood to prevent the cats getting in it!
You must have intrepid cats, mine only went for a swim once before concluding that she'd reconsider the tank as a perch ...
(the glass top was off that day ... now I can safely forget to replace the glass ;))

Hi all
You must have intrepid cats, mine only went for a swim once before concluding that she'd reconsider the tank as a perch ...
(the glass top was off that day ... now I can safely forget to replace the glass ;))
<"Our cat"> isn't so keen on the 2' tank since she knocked the light unit off, but she spends most of her time perched on the small tank. She is quite a "playful" cat so this has the advantage of putting her at head height where she can "pat" unsuspecting passers-by.

cheers Darrel

Back