• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for my tank

Jaybles

Hi guys,

I was hoping I could get some advice on how much light I will need for my tank. I am planning to have a low tech set up with all plants requiring low/medium light. The tank is 90x40x45 (LxWxH).

In the past when setting up aquariums I have read about the watt per litre rule but I have also read a lot about how this is not a accurate way to calculate the light required. Also, which type of light would be better (long term) LED or T5. I usually prefer LED unit for the wattage and general look that can be achieved.

Sorry if these are silly questions but I do not want to set myself up to fail with this tank!

I think I'm right in saying it isn't particularly important for a low-tech set-up. Less is more, if you get me. It's important not to have too much light. You should be much more concerned with achieving the proper distribution of CO2 and nutrients. I'd say chuck a single tube of T5, or an LED unit that throws off roughly the equivalent of a single T5 (the wattage of which obviously depends on the length of your tank). I know a lot of guys on here have units that are capable of putting out more light than they need, and dim them down to a level they're happy with.

Do you have a unit in mind yet? If so, it might be an idea to link to it so that people can offer advice/criticism about its suitability to such a set-up.

I usually prefer LED unit for the wattage and general look that can be achieved.

That's reason enough to choose LED: look at types of LEDs used in the fixtures when comparing value for $, the life expectancy (10 000h - 50 000h), lens angle will affect spread of the light (60* will give you an intense narrow light shape, 120* a broader light shape), some lamps allow you to easily change the lens or switch out the LED "puck" (as new versions come available), control of intensity (dimming - some work well with after-market dimmers, others don't recommend this - there's a discussion on Aquasky dimming) & spectra (usually more $$).
In general, more $$$ LEDs have more intensity, deliver higher PAR at the substrate distance - obviously more important for deeper tanks; depending on your aquascape design you may prefer less even light coverage across the length & width of your tank.
When operating LED units at reduced intensity, they generally have a longer LED life as there is less heat BUT some been reported to make odd noises (whining, humming) - if possible, visit shops with display models that you can handle.
Depending on your tank style, some LED fixture's will look better than others.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have some led unit at the moment but I'm not too sure whether they will be good enough. I will track down the specs of the units and post them and hopefully you can give me an idea if these are OK to use look into changing them.

So am I better off not worrying about having enough light, then? I was planning on using the Interpet twin LED unit (75cm) on this tank.

Back