• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting Crypts

Crypts are my favourite plant, but I still don't know if I'm planting them correctly.

I know you need to seperate them into 'plantlets', but what exactly are plantlets? I seperate them into clumps with about 5-6 stems in each. Is it better to just seperate each stem, and plant each stem seperately?

Thanks

You can see once pulling them apart. There will be a crown with stems coming from it.

AC

^ I know, but what I'm saying is:

1. Should there be several stems coming from the crown (i.e. five or six)

or

2. Should you just plant ONE stem at a time (i.e. have just one stem coming from each crown and plant it like that)

i also had probs with this,

i tried both types, planting seperate stems or in a bunch

i planted one pot of crypt undulata in a bunch did not split, it grew like mad and became twice the size in 3 weeks.

however i planted crypt parva in single stems, i had it planted for 10 weeks, in the same conditions as the undulata, but it did not really grow big, it became tall but did not grow many leaves..

i always plant crypts in bunches now, it works fine for me

just make sure you have root tabs underneath them.

Hi,
Comparing two different varieties while trying to determine growth patterns introduces a variable that invalidates any conclusions. Undulata could simply be a faster grower than parva. Clearly, if you start with a higher bioload the total plant mass after time x will be higher. In fact crypts, don't really care whether a single stem or a multi-stemmed portion is planted. The only criterion to consider is aesthetics during the transition period. If fed well the plant will fill out regardless of which planting method is used. Runners will be sent out and new plantlets will colonize other areas.

Additionally, if water column dosing is performed properly there is no urgency to use any form of root tab. I don't use root tabs and I have no difficulty growing crypts.

Cheers,

Back