• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this hydra?

Crossocheilus

These white polyps have invaded my flame moss, nothing else in the tank. Could someone identify and tell me how to irradicate them? Any treatment must be completely shrimp safe.

7235464a3b01301e38542714c10c1f5e.jpg

I can get a slightly better pic if need be.

They don't have the long base stalk, just a large number of grey/white hairy fronds growing in tufts on the moss.

Nope, no movement.

Looking on the planet inverts website they have a thing called bryozoans, which do not sting, unlike hydra, filter plankton out of the water but have a hard skeleton that multiple polyps inhabit, but I haven't found any obvious skeleton thing.

Hmmm...

So they photosynthesise, and filter feed? Seeing as I have no other algae I would hope the filter feeding is why they survive. Is there some way I can easily kill them without harming the moss or tank inhabitants? I could always remove all the moss as i have decided that I don't really like the vertical growth of flame moss anyway.

Thanks

Ok, so algae based, treat with excel/easycarbo and that's about it. As I said before may replace all flame moss with spiky (which attaches) or weeping.

Thanks for the help

Back