• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help

dean

Got this tmc gauge but gas is coming out of the right hand side end cap
There's s little hole in it
Looks like it should be there
But why is this happening ?
1e0fc16d2fe4a9da9c945a560b969598.jpg
7ab542d5ee27c2143a7696cc2eb36cc3.jpg

I'd guess seals or diaphragm failure - likely more cost effective to bin than repair.

I'd guess seals or diaphragm failure - likely more cost effective to bin than repair.
my guess too
There's s little hole in it
that hole is there to prevent it from pressurising that part and potentially exploding/blowing off the cover cap for the internals of the reg. judging by the tool marks and the ptfe tape on the cover some amateur had tried to seal it not realizing there is a vent hole which suggests whoever sold it to you knew it was faulty I would ask for money back
where did you get it?

Ah. If you took it apart and looks like you have failed to assemble it properly, most likely failed to seat the diaphragm properly or damaged it. Some regulators you can take the cap off to adjust the working pressure (inserting washers). The hole is actually to let atmospheric pressure in, to the other side of the diaphragm, blocking the hole will stop the regulator working. There should be no need for PTFE tape as these are tapered threads.

Was the dust something that had perished ?
Could be the rubber diaphragm ? Bit surprised as one assumes it must be tough (silicone) in order to be CO2 proof. Most "standard" rubbers will dissolve CO2 (especially under pressure ie 800psi) which is why standard O rings are not used near the high pressure bits of the regulator and CO2 cylinder.

Back