• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Starting point---- Another Aquascape

Hi All, The Riccia on the Lh side next to the DW . I have taken out as it was not doing well there in the shade.
So now you can see more of the DW:D I took out the H trip at the back LH side will replace with Crypt nevellii i think it will look better

As to the Riccia on the DW it was an experiment.:whistle:I wanted to see how or if it would grow and stay attached to the DW ???? Bits have started to float off already :( So a Wabi-Kusa With Riccia on is not a good idea too use as an Aquascape Piece. As the Riccia has no roots to attach its self :(The other plants seem to adapt quite well :D

One Photo

37_zpspn2eplpp.jpg

Roy, Have you tried using champaign yeast? I have read that it is much better than the regular household variety. I get plenty of pressure for my ceramic diffuser using Red Star yeast and the following preparation, but I first mix in a small bowl (about a half cup) some warm water, a pinch or two of sugar and a pinch of yeast, wisk a bit and do it again every so often for ten minutes until bubbles occur. I then add it to the mixture in the bottle
Here’s the recipe I have followed,
2 Liters “tank” water (do not add any chemicals to it)
1 cup white sugar (no more, it’s just not needed; it’s just a waist of sugar.
“¼” teaspoon of bakers yeast (produces for 3 weeks)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder.
Add sugar and baking powder to water and stir/shake till clear. Add yeast, do not shake bottle. It you want to give it a little shimmy so it sinks that’s fine but don’t stir/shake it.
Over the first few years I ran DIY yeast Co2, tap worked 50-75% of the time. I tried adding dechlorinator to the water this never worked! Then one day I saw someone mention using tank water. So I tried it and MAN what a difference! Firstly my mixtures worked “every time” and they produced near twice as much Co2 as with even my best tap water batch and they lasted longer to. Back then I was using 2 cups sugar and a full teaspoon of yeast and ½ teaspoon of baking powder. I got about 2 weeks from my mixtures ands I thought this was pretty good. Then I dropped the sugar down to 1 cup which made “no difference”. Then I dropped the baking powder to 1/8 teaspoon my mixture started lasting 2 ½ weeks, then I dropped the yeast down, over several mixtures, to ¼ teaspoon and got my mixtures lasting 3 weeks and sometimes more. I’ve had a mixture continue to produce for over a month! Adding more yeast produces Co2 at a faster rate but it doesn’t last as long so I added a bottle and changed one ever 2 weeks for a nice consistent Co2 production.

Roy, Have you tried using champaign yeast? I have read that it is much better than the regular household variety. I get plenty of pressure for my ceramic diffuser using Red Star yeast and the following preparation, but I first mix in a small bowl (about a half cup) some warm water, a pinch or two of sugar and a pinch of yeast, wisk a bit and do it again every so often for ten minutes until bubbles occur. I then add it to the mixture in the bottle
Here’s the recipe I have followed,
2 Liters “tank” water (do not add any chemicals to it)
1 cup white sugar (no more, it’s just not needed; it’s just a waist of sugar.
“¼” teaspoon of bakers yeast (produces for 3 weeks)
1/8 teaspoon baking powder.
Add sugar and baking powder to water and stir/shake till clear. Add yeast, do not shake bottle. It you want to give it a little shimmy so it sinks that’s fine but don’t stir/shake it.
Over the first few years I ran DIY yeast Co2, tap worked 50-75% of the time. I tried adding dechlorinator to the water this never worked! Then one day I saw someone mention using tank water. So I tried it and MAN what a difference! Firstly my mixtures worked “every time” and they produced near twice as much Co2 as with even my best tap water batch and they lasted longer to. Back then I was using 2 cups sugar and a full teaspoon of yeast and ½ teaspoon of baking powder. I got about 2 weeks from my mixtures ands I thought this was pretty good. Then I dropped the sugar down to 1 cup which made “no difference”. Then I dropped the baking powder to 1/8 teaspoon my mixture started lasting 2 ½ weeks, then I dropped the yeast down, over several mixtures, to ¼ teaspoon and got my mixtures lasting 3 weeks and sometimes more. I’ve had a mixture continue to produce for over a month! Adding more yeast produces Co2 at a faster rate but it doesn’t last as long so I added a bottle and changed one ever 2 weeks for a nice consistent Co2 production.
Hi Rob Thank you for the info :thumbup: I will be changing over to a pressurised system soon. So no more changing bottle mix's :D

Back