• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which external to buy?

Olliebobs

Seedling
Hi
I have been slowly getting all the equipment together for my return to fishkeeping and so far have purchased an Aqua One opti 85 and cabinet. Pressurised CO2 system, ADA Aquasky 601, substrate and heater. I am now looking for the best external filter for this set up. The tank is 60cm x 40 x 40 and holds 85 litres.

What would you guys and girls recommend please? I have briefly looked at the Eheim thermal filters but that is as far as I got.

Thanks in advance

it will be round 1000lph when filled the. rating is on an empty canister. just over x 10 filtratiom
your tank will hold 96L

Just been looking at inline heaters. Will take a look at the atomiser.

Hi all,
I'm not getting anything with a priming pump ever again.
I always think of Clive's immortal description of external filters as "a pump in a bucket". I know I'm a bit of a luddite, but I still like the simplicity of Eheim's "Classic" range. You can get spares for them, the water goes in at the bottom and out at the top, there is one moving part (the impeller) and one seal (for the head).

Simple and effective, no priming button, nothing digital etc.

cheers Darrel

There is so much choice out there. Swaying towards the Eheim, mainly because of German engineering.

I have used both Eheim Classic (2215) and JBL greenline (e401), and they are fantastic, very reliable, silent and there are plenty of spare parts available if needed. The JBL greenline do consume less than their Eheim Classic equivalents, but Eheim Classic are very robust (yup, the "pump in a bucket" concept).

Jordi

I've had an Eheim 350 experience on my 60-P for a year or so and I'm happy with it. If I was richer I would have got the one with the built in heater though.

Thanks for your replies. Looks like an Eheim or JBL is going too be purchased.

The Eheim Thermal filters are brilliant. I've owed Fluval and Eheim ( 2078, 2075, 2124T ) and have just bought a 2173 Thermal filter. IMO the Eheims are silent running and reliable and I would recommend them over Fluval.

The thermal filters cost a bit more, but you get simplicity with no need to worry about inline heaters.

I agree with Darrel. I love the simplicity of the eheim classic filters. They are just a bucket with a pump and thats it! No fancy gadgets and they are easy to clean and maintain and go on forever!

I'm with Darrel too, I really rate my eheims. fluvals are pants, too many parts to go wrong, I dont know why people rate them
there is one moving part (the impeller) and one seal (for the head).
I think you'll find an o ring on the 90* pipe on the bottom of the canister too. easy enough to replace though and costs pence from engineering suppliers

Back