• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rimless 4ft build question

dougstar

Okay I have some questions.i want to build a new setup, dimensions 120L X 60 X 60 rimless! Can I get away with 10mm glass and have no bracing on the top of the tank? Want to have nice clean look with pendant style lighting

hello jose
my thoughts are that 10 or 12mm glass when you put silicon the glass to stick the aquarium together, the surface area were the silicon holds the glass glass is far greater than say with 6 or 8. you can make a rimless tank with 6 or 8mm glass but making one the size i want 120 x 60 x 60 will not work with out a euro brace or central brace. if we down size the build eg. (im just guessing here) 90 x 40 x 40 with 8mm you may get away without having any brace on the top and achieve a rimless tank. so what i want to know at what point will my build be be safe or not 120 x 45 x 45 0r 120 x 50 x 50 0r 120 x 60 x60? i know its not the length but the height when building a tank that makes the difference. i want to know what i can get away with

one of my current tanks is made with 12mm 2m x 61 w x 75 h
getting 15mm is not as easy here:(
maybe ill have to go 55 high

DSC06719.JPG
This is the look I want (rimless) no Barce on the top. So I'm hopping to be able to build it 10/12mm glass just not sure I'll get the specs I want

Last edited:
What a cool site
cb1500__59986_zoom.jpg
this one is my spec and made with 12mm :)

So I'm in the market for some new gear want to buy some lighting. I'm looking at two different manufacturers tmc aquaria grobeams 1000/1500. And the Kessingland a160we tuna sun. With both systems I'd have to buy 3 units and id buy the controller. what does you guys and gals think? We're is the best place to shop for the tmc? Doug

Sweet Ian so 55 high? And it's open top?Go on then show me a pic or two

Back