• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-sealing a tank.

I bought a tank with a known leak in the seam. To be on the safe side I want to take it all apart and re-seal it all. It's 10mm optiwhite glass. What I'd like to know is how to de-seal it to start with please? I thought I'd use some fishing wire to break the silicone seal but it just keeps snapping and its 12lb line! Any advice please? Any advice on the whole thing would be helpful from anyone that's done it or something similar.

I managed to snap stainless steel locking wire doing mine, I ended up using a scalpel. DSC_0144_zpsjqaxziuk.jpg

You'll also need to get some silicone remover if you haven't already.

did it snap where you held it with the locking pliers(mole grips) by any chance
Nope where it went between the panes, the gap got a tad narrow for the wire.

Thanks Big Clown, you obviously catch bigger fish than me! I'll see if I can source some.

Thanks Ollie, is the silicone remover needed. I've never had any trouble removing bits of silicone before. I thought about stainless steel wire but I was worried about it scratching the ends of the glass, especially as its optiwhite.

A scalpel and fishing line always does it for me, i use a spreading clamp as well to keep the joint open while the fishing line cuts through the silicone.

Thanks Big Clown, you obviously catch bigger fish than me! I'll see if I can source some.

Thanks Ollie, is the silicone remover needed. I've never had any trouble removing bits of silicone before. I thought about stainless steel wire but I was worried about it scratching the ends of the glass, especially as its optiwhite.
Technically yes, but you can also do it with steel wool.
Before....
DSC_0147_zpsmmkcmgjv.jpg

After
DSC_0153_zpshamd2qsd.jpg

It seems pretty cheap so I'll give some a go. I want to do the best job possible really with the tank.

Now all I've got to do is get the glass all apart.

Thanks

Hair dryer wont help. You need to remove as much as possible with a brand new sharp knife or scalpel and wire between the panes. Also clamp so that when separated one doesn't fall on the floor!!!!

Use silicone eater to removed left over silicone and IPA to clean prior to resealing.

Hair dryer wont help. You need to remove as much as possible with a brand new sharp knife or scalpel and wire between the panes. Also clamp so that when separated one doesn't fall on the floor!!!!

Use silicone eater to removed left over silicone and IPA to clean prior to resealing.

IPA?

Back