• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do you pay for bog wood wet LOL?

Jay1

I was at one of the main chains on the weekend and went outside to look at the Koi and pond stuff.
The LFS had some rocks and bogwood stacked up without cover.
Is it normal practice to leave the stuff out in the wet?
I'm only asking as they wanted £6.50 per kilo and the piece I saw was about 7-8kg wet.
I know it had been used recently in a tank, as it still had black cotton wrapped around the log (darker wood), but everytime I see bog wood its unused or dry stored inside.
As for it being heavier so it can sink even if it was dry it weighs about 5Kg and would sink and no way float!
Is this a good practice?

I was actually thinking this myself yesterday, "wonder if people would pay for it wet." It is bloody annoying when it floats. Myself I might be tempted, because its not much money either way on the small bits I'd be buying.

As for whether its normal practice? I can't blame any shop that does it, why waste your expensive indoor space when its just bits of wood. I know wharf aquatics do it, was there sunday! I'd be surprised if it would become fully waterlogged just from rain though

Well the question begs why was the branchy smaller lighter bog wood bits indoors and the heavier ones out in the wet? Could be space, but that piece was about £45 pounds so comes around about wet gravel and wet sand bags and if you pay by the killo?
TBF the wood is question and a few others definitly had been in water before and not just rain?

Where I live they charge per piece and how it looks.. not by how much it weighs, but I find my own driftwood out by my reservoir anyway

i would buy new wood like redmoor wood (lifespan), malaysian driftwood its ok to buy used , quite odd whenever i want to sell my fave new redmoor wood , people always ask me does it sink

I would not buy wet wood for any where near the prices showed for dry wood. It would have to be a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send ed a message at fresh water shrimp, the wood is the price it should be! I filled my 120 with bogwood for less than £40, 3 pieces all 90cm plus.

As for storage, all mine sits in the garden but paying by the kg is a fools game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was selling some on ebay a while back and I had quite a few messages asking if I could keep it wet so it wouldn't float.

Back