• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Coloured Carpet Plants

NC10

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a red, purple, or even a brownish! carpet plant. Or something which could be persuaded into a carpet look with a bit of work?

The only thing I've come up with up to now is Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' , which isn't ideal, but up to now would have to do.

Any suggestions appreciated, cheers.

Tropica's Hygrophila 'Araguaia' - I put in the 1,2-grow & it has proven extremely tolerant & consistently returns despite my repeat attempts at torture & destruction ... as I rip the tank apart to catch fish, to add in T's Plant Growth Substrate beneath the EC (none available when I set up the tank), rescape, run out of CO2, go away & run out of CO2, hmmm change scape again ... :eek:

It seems very happy just crawling along rather than getting much elevation so I suspect you could trim & train to get a decent carpet, it's not fast like the ground covers though - Tropica describes it as "medium" growth rate & that's what it seems to do ;)

Caloglossa cf. beccarii is a possibel candidate - it's an algae, though, and quite invasive if happy. Colour can vary from boring brown to vibrant "liquerich purple". Not very easy to obtain, I guess - and rather expensive, too !!

Alt. 'mini' can do a "tall carpet" of 5-ish cm. if trimmed consistantly.

Hyg. 'araguaia' (likely a Hyg. lancea variety) is very easy to "hold down", indeed.

Standard Ech. tenellus (now actually Helantium tenellus) will produce red-ish newest leaves in high light intensity, which is not the case for the variation Ech. tenellus 'green' (now Helantium tenellus var. parvulum). This will stay bright green.

Don't know about the UK but main land Europe it is very hard to find and sold out in most shops.. I was lucky to find and get it via a forum where people also share some cutings.
Anyway take a look at the "Rotala Mexicana Goias"" . It's a very beautiful small Rotala and under the proper conditions it will turn redish - purple and even some light brown shading. So far i know is it the smallest stem plant (available) used for foreground, doesn't grow taller than 2 inches

I also purchased a recently new hybrid called the "Rotala marcandra mini type II" a small dark red en slow growing max. 4 to 6 inch according the shop (Germany) i bought it from. :)

Back