• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Cube

Today got rid of last tetra (green) and raised water to 84º for four days. 30% water changes in both cubes and 20% change in SpecV. All new R/O water treated with replenish. .5 ml. per gallon. Going to buy a quarantine tank to avoid situations like this again. all ich organisms should be dead in green tetra tank after four days (fingers crossed.)

Want my usual sceptic's response?

2 weeks if you've removed all livestock to be certain (& even then the confidence limits are still only 99%) - there are always outlayers & ich is too infectious & I'm too attached to my fish (even the one I bought only yesterday)

salt acts as an irritant so fish respond with increased slime production (there are other potential uses re osmotic pressure but not sure these were actually demonstrated in fish species kept in freshwater aquaria) but it won't significantly impact most fish pathogens at the sort of levels that are consistent with fish life.
Some fish do respond very well to salt effect - domestic angels are an excellent example.

Hope you're doing well (shame about the green neons - local shops also had shipments arrive with ich ... so I'm imagining one farm supplying all the trans-shippers :oops: )

Two berried females in this tank now
16804737100_cb93a9bab7_c.jpg

Went to the LFS yesterday and ordered a 5 gal. tank to use as a quarantine facility. I'm running out of space for any additional tanks. I now have pregnant shrimp in all tanks with Neon cherries and spry in the SpecV and now three generations in the middle Flora and two berried in the new cube. I want to add some colorful mini Rasboras in the new cube but will wait until my quarantine tank is operating and cycled.

Sorry to hear about the Neon Green Tetra problem.I'm going to have to set up a proper isolation tank. I've got a 27L (7US gallons) tank with a hood and light that I'm going to stick in the cupboard under my 240L. I'll keep a nit of bogwood with a bit of Java fern and an Anubias sp. on it. I'd like to keep some shrimps in it, but as they are not too tolerant of medication, I'll just keep a couple of snails in it.

Hope you've recovered after your op!

Still recovering but can get around a bit. I would suggest you only use artificial plants in your quarantine tank. They can be easily disinfected after a medication or other disease treatment. I have a 3 gal. with a nerite and a couple of guppies for some bio input. Here's a pic.:
16982409580_4fdc4242b9_c.jpg

Hi all,
I would suggest you only use artificial plants in your quarantine tank. They can be easily disinfected after a medication or other disease treatment.
How about just have floating plants, and if necessary dispose of them after a diseased fish etc.

That way you would get the advantages of cover and improved water quality.

cheers Darrel

Well, made a big mistake–not thinking and not acting by testing water for nitrates. I lost one CPD and then another but never found them, figured the shrimpies ate them. Last CPD was constantly swimming back and forth in same pattern before it disappeared.Then an oto died and I couldn't find the other, figuring same thing happened. That finally set off alarm in my thick skull and I tested and got reading of 100 so did 66% water change and with no fish left in tank am letting it run with only shrimp and plants. Will test again before I put any fish back in. Hope I've learned a good lesson: change water regularly and when fish die–there's usually a reason and dead fish can really affect water quality, even if you think shrimp ate them.

Hi all,
Sorry to hear that. That is why I would add a floating plant, it would both reduce nitrogen levels and give you a visual warning of increasing nitrates.

cheers Darrel
How does it give a visual indicator??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back