• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

blender method for moss?

Trey Lanier

HI all, first time on this forum and though i would give it a try=) I have a 60gallon high tech tank that i will be setting up in two week and wanted to know if anyone has any information on this method? I was told to use a scoop of greek yogurt then some water and then some moss but never got any details on how much of each and what not, and how fine to blend the moss. I would like to be able to fill the tank up a week after putting the moss on the driftwood, but idk if this will be to soon to fill it or if it will be fine?
Thanks =).

Here is a picture of the scape
4a21a92e07ef0ac86c138277a8cb5ea8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you have a nice ventilated area :D best of luck.
whats that supposed to mean lol! Yea i know i have heard it reeks lol...
Still wondring though, how long should it take to grab onto the wood? I have a max of two weeks roughly from wednesday of next week to the following friday so actually only a little over one week!

yea i have heard mixed results with using the yogurt and not using it. Im really now just wondering how long i have to wait to flood the tank since my plants will be in on the 1st of May

In that case I'd just tie it to the hardscape lol
Do you think two weeks would be enough? I might put a small peace of driftwood in the tank and put some of the moss on it as well and then on the one week mark try and sink it and see what happens :)

Saw an Amano video where he chopped & chopped & smeared & flooded same day BUT low flow compared to most recommendations here, in some other interview he suggested waiting a week before flooding to give the moss time to attach - note in both photo series it looked as if there was almost no moss/green hue to the rocks/wood but it appeared as tank grew in.
(both rocks & wood had "texture" to hold the moss fragments)
So if you have 2 weeks, give it a go! but only add a teaspoon of yoghurt to a cup of blended moss, also look for yoghurt that is only milk & bacteria & none of the texturizing agents (& no added sugars or flavours of course)

Just looked back at your wood - it has great texture

Yea my plan was to use the paint brush and just smear it in the crevices that run down the root system and also that run up the main stump. I might actually just use a razor blade and mix the mosses together Chopin them up semi fine then mix with yogurt and then push then in the crevices. Seeing that my crevices are pretty deep and that the wood is more so soft then hard (it red cedar but it's 50years old from a spring long long time ago!) so it does have a good about of texture. Idk I think what I'll do it use half of each moss since I'm ordering a good amount and then put the other half in my holding tank since mosses will live in the low tech tanks

The reason for the rush is that I wasn't planning on doing this method until I found out about it one week ago which was after I had ordered all my plants! But I have a very good thing that I can say!!!!!! They are almost all tissue filter cups! I can't quite remember the name of the other plants but since I have an emersed setup one of the plants is Anubias man petite so I can easily throw that in it and it will do fine, and for the other two that aren't tissue culture I will tell you guys what they are when I get home! Here is my emersed setup.
dc0248776d932d8f7ace7612fc019989.jpg

It's 95% humidity and 90* F lights are on 14hours a day and I get about 80stems from the ludwigia each week!

well yesterday i took some fissidens fontanus and blended it up and put it on to a rock outside, and today i wet out to check on it and they are all attached to the rock! Idk how they could attach so fast but they are. Im going to test it on a peace of wood right now and see what my results are.

Back