• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

Keep doing water changes. Also, it appears the filter output is on the back wall facing forward, am I correct with this? I believe it should be pointing the same way as the powerhead. Or wise-versa.

ok, noted

Somehow I doubt that. You have been alerted to this issue 4 times before in posts 93, 95, 99 & 105 starting nov 2014 (6 months ago :rolleyes:), dec 2014 and Feb 2015. We're now on post 244 in apr 2015 and it's just been pointed out to you AGAIN :banghead:

I think when he says "noted", he means "thanks, but I am going to ignore this advice."

I don't mean to be condescending, but this is a fascinating experiment in gradually trying to lead someone through the basics of having a functioning tank. You have to have a sneaking admiration for George's sheer stubbornness in the face of the advice given to him by the various experts on this forum! :oldman:

Apologies George, no offence intended, I am also a rookie. I think you can make this tank work, I still think you should bite the bullet though and buy some more plants to increase the healthy mass in the tank. I think for beginners that is often the forgotten part of the equation with all the emphasis on flow, co2, EI, etc. Those are obviously crucial, but I suspect the minimalist style tanks you see a lot of experienced aquarists succeeding with are very unforgiving unless you have everything spot on. If you have more plants you have more of a buffer against mistakes, and more chance against algae.

Keep on persevering!

Come on, mister, if you want to grow plants, get some plants in the tank!

Fill up all that empty space with a keen growing plant, perhaps Hygrophilia polsperma? Keep whacking in the ferts at at least the recommended doses, make sure you've got plenty of co2, change 50% of the water per week, and watch the plants. If there is a centimetre or more between the pairs of leaves on the HS increase co2 and fertilisers. When these plants are growing well, start to worry about more demanding plants.

Have you been told or read that large areas if your tank should have no plants in them? I'd love to hear where!

Re read the advice you've been sent, get some cheap hardy plants, fill your tank with them, watch them and learn from them!!

Wishing you all the best! Please let me know if anything I said was unclear/you have any questions.

Mark

_DSC3449_zpslwbtka4v.jpg

I do hope you're not keeping fish in that......

It just looks to be "green water" - unsightly, frustrating (even crazy-making at times) but fish generally fare just fine ... even in the "pea soup" version
If you turned off the filters it would be more of an issue but then many fish that we keep are rather dependent on the filter flow even in clear waters.

Hi George
Shame the tank is not going toward as plan. If i was you i would start again. New plants substrate like tropica capped with any gravel and maybe some equipment. Looking at the filter i don't think its up to the job. You need something like a eheim pro 600, ehiem 2217 or even a fluval 406. Place your inlet and outlet on one side of the tank with the powerhead facing the same way for extra flow if needed.

I have the same tank in my garage haven't got time to set it up yet. Its not a big tank so you don't need to spend a lot on things.

You can buy a lot of plants and do a jungle style or get some rocks for hardscape. Good thing is the tank is small so its easy to rescape if you get bored. Stay with the easy plants and then if you think that its too easy or it grow too fast then just take that plant out put more demanding plant in like hc or glosso. Stick with easy and medium and if you like to try a carpet plant do e tenellus, super easy or monte carlo. A little harder but if it grow well it will let you know your on the right track

Don't use the plants you all ready have because i find it very hard to save them once it's all covered in algae. I always think once there algae in the tank its not easy to remove all of it unless you know how to deal with it.

i see you live in north finchley. I drive past every weekend to london so if you like one weekend i can help you out.

I like to help as i remember when i first started off with high tech i brought a 3ft tank and 15 pot hc which you should know it got covered in nice brown green algae lol.

Big thanks to big clown for all the years of advices his giving to me. Made me understand a lot.

Anyways here a journal of me and my mate last year. Have a read and see how he beat the algae problem he had when he return back from holiday. Most people would shut this tank down in this case so don't give up ok.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/vaz-and-ryan-juwel-rio-125.35205/

cheers
Ryan

Last edited:
thanks for the long post, money is an issue as im building a bike but ill get some plants next time im at a fish shop, as for now im doing water changes every day to clear this green tint

Back