• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opaque leaves

Su James

Seedling
Hi,
Pretty new to planted tanks and completely new to the site. I've been reading lots of your forums and things and it's great.

Anyhoo. I have a pretty basic planted tank. I thinks it's about 50 gallons, no co2, LED lighting, some fish, one snail. The plants have been growing pretty well but I've noticed that some have gone a bit hopeless.
Valisnaria, ludwigia and mosses are growing happily. Amazon sword and java fern have gone very opaque. The leaves feel very flimsy and relatively see through.
I have a couple of pictures but haven't worked out how to attach them yet... Any advice would be greatly received. I know CO2 is important and I will get it on eventually.

Assume you mean transparent rather than opaque!

What LED lighting do you have? My swords used to go transparent when I had bright lighting and not enough carbon. I added liquid co2 (TNC Carbon) first, which helped but didn't completely sort it, then eventually added proper co2. Maybe you could drop the lighting a tad by adding floating plants, or covering part of the lights?

Lol, yes transparent.

It's an Interpet bright white three strip. Certainly is bright! I will investigate reducing the brightnes. CO2 is the next addition for the tank. Just a case of saving up...

Popped Some ferts in last night when I saw the problem. Will see what happens... Hopefully it'll sort out. :)

If your plants were doing well then start to suffer it says they have used up nutrients I would dose with something like Tropica Premium as you have no CO2 split into daily dose,if your lighting might be excessive for a non CO2 tank you could add floating plants and put some root tablets near the root feeders like your Amazons

Back