• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Lovely World of Bucephalandra!

There is a seller on eBay with some species. I think the seller name is planters-place. I saw he had one and sent a message to see if he had other varieties. Not especially cheap but he had quite a good list. I don't know where he gets them from or if they're any good. I'm still trying to decide whether to buy or not.

Hi there Sue, FreshwaterShrimp which are one of the forum sponsors have been doing occasional offers on Buces at very good prices with a wide selection to pick from, when sending payment for the offer its to planters-place. Keep an eye out in the forums for any offers that come up, decent prices and it helps spread the finance a bit. I'm up to 10 varieties already, gorgeous plants, slow growers yes but quite hardy, a few of mine have been struggling with BBA while they adapt to life in my tank (high flow areas) but the ones that are most susceptible are surviving the occasional dip in 6% H2O2. Out of the ten I have only lost one main plant to complete melt, Black Gaia but it's still growing as it came with a generous root structure that produced new leaves within a week of going in my tank (co2@30ppm+).

16578806554_8659892033_b.jpg

:)

Thanks X3NiTH. Looks like its the same seller then. That's good to know.
I'm going to brave it and buy just one. I'm sure the addiction will soon kick in! He he. I really want Dark Achillies but it's very pricey. Guess I should start with a cheaper one in case I kill it...

Slow growers they say.. But mine already is shooting a baby plant from her rizome in les than 3 weeks. :)
rmE6OHt.jpg

Maybe because she's 4 inches below the lights.. Shes glewed to the wood. I guess, anyway that's my philosophy, and seems to have positive effect. I did accompany her with some moss around her rizome (Fisidens Fontanis). I believe as what i've seen in nature (above ground) that epyfitic plants like to live in symbiosis with mosses. Moss will catch dirt with their fine leaves and provide more extra food close to the root..

Last edited:
Darn time outs.. :) Btw the way, look in nature, see especialy the Ferns, lots of time the moss is there first, just to catch a Fern spore, it gives her extra hold and food.

Btw :) Bucy is shooting some out here.
W0crNEe.jpg

Looks different then the new leaves submersed. Is it a flower?

They are hard to keep emersed in open top tank. :( Had already 2 of them dying after a few weeks. Dont even open up.. Never flowered again after that..

never try to emersed grow it. for the first month mine was produce 2-3 flower buds, but now its just only got taller and grow some new stalks from its rhizome and i'm happy with it.

Typical!? Mine do excactly the same, 2 flowers in the first month and now only grow new leaves and plantlets. Not realy growing it emersed, did put it an inch under the surface on the wood. With the thought if it likes is will come emersed by itself. Funny is spliced the rizome in 2 pieces, the big one is deeper and grows up with tall leaves. And the small one is near the surface propagating new plantlets down instead op up and only produces small leaves. The one near the surface did only shoot the flowers emersed. But even so close to the water it isnt moist enough, they withered away. :)

They are hard to keep emersed in open top tank. :( Had already 2 of them dying after a few weeks. Dont even open up.. Never flowered again after that
This is what i don't understand with Buce's. It is not bio- logical (see the pun:lol:) to flower UNDERWATER. I can understand they can flower, for instance if a flashflood occurs, underwater, but there are no pollinators underwater. I always see them as emersed plants that can withstand being underwater (in the wet season), while i see Crypto's as underwater/bog plants which can survive emersed (dry season). Their flowerspikes are raised above the waterlevel.

Like anubias, they act the same.. I did monitor humidity for months an inch above the water level with small electronic hygrometer. It rarely goes higher then 75%. Avarage is 60-65%. Thats obviously not enough for them to survive long time. :)

I presume high CO2 levels will "foolish" them to flower unterwater...

Some scientist say its a myth but still some farmers do add extra Potash and phosporus to stimulate flower development.
dunno.gif

To elaborate on the importing side, phytosanitary certificates can be obtained from customs their side but aparantly it's the norm to have to bribe them.

Back