• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

I really think dechlorinating was the main issue, had set up a good ei schedule, co2 is lime green, and now I can see that the plants are exploding, all points to chlorine being the culprit

If I was you George, now you have adjusted the filter outlet, I would take Sacha's advice and do a black out. Then when you restart your tank start with 4 hours lighting with only 1 T5 if possible.

Chlorine isn't the culprit George. The culprit is too much lighting and improper tank maintenance. Chlorine was simply covering up the underlying problems you had, so when you eliminated the chlorine, you could see what was really wrong with your tank.

Think about it this way. If you had a dead body under your floorboards causing your house to stink of rotting flesh, would you just soak the carpet in bleach every morning so that the chlorine would cover up the smell? Or would you rip the floorboards up and get rid of the rotting carcass?

Rip the floorboards up George. Start again from scratch. That's the best advice I can offer.

but the lighting, ferts and co2 should be in balance, and you say improper tank maintenance, but I was doing 50 percent once a week, cheers

But your tank is telling you that your lights, ferts and Co2 are not in balance. Tank maintenance is not just changing water. It's about keeping the glass clean, cleaning filter pipes (internal) and the external parts in the tank. Rinsing off the filter media occasionally with tank water. Cleaning the Co2 diffuser. Removing any visible algae by hand if possible. Wafting you water syphon over the top of the substrate to remove and dirt / waste etc.

I've seen people complain of algae blooms in new tanks before, it's certainly not proof that he needs to restart. Whatever issue(s) may be present, I don't see how restarting is going to get rid of them?

He's decided to reduce his light, so wait and see!

can't say I blame you! But obviously if you get stuck, do still ask for advice. Good luck

Noted ;)

Back