• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to stop algae in sand?

Ray

Its not BGA, its just normal algae like you get on hardscape and glass. Doesn't grow on my aqauasoil, just on the sand. I've got no algae anywhere else (Ottos, snail and Shrimp are doing a good job) and its driving me nuts.

How do people keep it clean - do I need some bottom dwelling fish to turn it over for me? Vaccing it weekly gets it looking good initially but it grows so fast I have green tinted sand long before the next maintenance.

I just swill it about with each water change, other than that my MTS keep it turned over and it doesn't go too green on top.

Maybe you should try treating the cause rather than the symptom, what sort of algae is it, could you be lacking some nutrient or using too much light?

There must be a cause for the algae only on the sand to sort out, rather than just finding a way of keeping it clean, try sort out the course so you don't need to keep it in check. maybe too long photoperiod?
Perhaps just that little bit too much light letting algae get hold in the sand.

The only growth i get is against the glass in the sand the rest is eaten by my SAE and Plec i then turn my sand over once a month to keep it fresh.

I would try to lower micro and NO3 and increase P a little bit.
Do you know the params of your water?

Larger grain sized sand and m t snails to turn it over. My sand foreground goes black and brown rather than green however...

Back