• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

4 hours in the morning and 4 hours at night

8hrs photoperiod is a long time for the small amount of plant mass. Your probably just growing algae.

Why not try the night period only and see if that helps the algae production to stop

the bacteria that you want mostly lives on surfaces, its not really floating about. UV shouldn't affect it.

two light periods with a large gap in the middle is really weird. Some people will have a 2 hour siesta or something, but a large gap? you need to stop freestyling lol

ill give it a shot, but im highly speculative that it will work at all

There are always Bactria in the tank. With no plant mass they have very little competition for the tnks finite resources, and you get a bloom.. This can even happen in tanks with loads of plant but lighting has to be pretty extreme. In an empty tank with so much light (8hrs) and 2 blooms within a couple of weeks, something is obviously out of balance.

4hrs in the evening will be fine. Get more plants(free offer previously) and turn the lighting up slowly once you understand more fully

I am @sonicninja. good to know rahms thanks, it is kind of strange yes, but the night time is when Im most active and that's when I like to see things in the tank

absolutely fine to have your light schedule different to whats going on outside so by all means keep it on at night, just dont have it on in the morning as well!

Hi George, I have just read the entire journal (took some time...) I would just like to say that i admire you for not giving up :thumbup:

I'm going to comment on your lighting period, 4 hrs in the evening will work well for you, it does in my tank but you might need to drop the intensity of your lights as well. I had algae problems in my tank and reducing the amount and duration worked really well. When the plants start to grow at an improved rate, which will happen, the photo period can be extended and the intensity raised.

Another bit of advise would be for you to increase the frequency of your water changes to daily or every other day, 50 - 70% would help you out no end. The equipment in your tank still looks as though it could do with being cleaned more often as it seems to have algae on it in every picture.

The tank really could do with more plants which would also help you out, you can get some good cheap quick growing plants in bulk from Ebay, here is a link for you http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/live-aquarium-plants

Another product i have used and will again if i have an algae outbreak is liquid carbon, i have used this at x3 dose.

Good luck with your tank, i have my fingers crossed for you.

Jim

cheers jim, my co2 is dialled in at lime green, so carbon isn't an issue, (don't know if liquid carbon is some sort of magic cure) yes I have used these ebay plant stores, they are very good value for money, thx for taking the time to read my abysmal, but maybe educational trainwreck of a journal

G

Back