• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

700 litre - Boesemani-Stan. 😁

Ok the thing about this one is that, im not entirely happy with it, but then i guess thats always the case.

I had this issue, Hydrocotyle sp. Japan took over the entire substrate, smothered the E.tenelus and other ground cover plants. I tried to clean it up a bit, but end pulling all the Hydrocotyle up in anger which was tangled in all the other plants, result = a very big mess and brown cloudy tank.

It is settlling in a bit, back to chain swords (red and green varieties) and lileopsis. substrate about not fully covered yet, but getting there.
Pictures please, you may feel its not at its best but we all Iove the pics!.....progress shots....and for the other tank too, even after a big prune!
Cheerio,
Ady

Thanks Sanj, look forward to them :)

Somewhat imbalanced at the moment. I removed all the hydrocytle sp. Japan which smothered the bottom. I also removed a great amount of of java fern from the branches. Currently the right side require some growth midway down to balance the swathe of needle leaf and trident. It was more balanced before, but heavily overgrown and over shading other plants. Also that horrid green intake is now showing. C.retrospiralis was originally planted there to cover that area, but I did not realise it is quite a small thin plant at least in that area which was a lot more shaded. Ill move those plants out an replace with either C.balansae or maybe an Aponogeton species or even echinodorus...

700litre_1_13012013_zps00394b45.jpg

700litre2_13012013_zps5f86ea2c.jpg

Personally I think it looks fab. Another big tank in a great spot. Just caught up on your other journal so well impressed.

I know your a rainbow fan but I could see a few discus in their.

Another immense tank.....what do people say when they come round, I bet they are stunned, it's not often you see one tank this big, let alone a house with one this big and another twice as big!!!! George Farmer described your home visit as the best ever in his opinion, I can see why, especially with talk of your breeding tanks too!

The pathway would be nice and the higher foreground planting would be ideal, if its possible too it would add even more depth to the scape....but then again choosing plants to compliment the existing ones may be tricky unless you just add more of the same.
Thanks again for the update, great tank.

I hadn't even seen this thread, this is an absolutely fantastic utilisation of space.

I think the only way your gonna go bigger than all of these tanks is to screw your front door shut and flood your downstairs :lol:

Have you actually seen the man who tanked out his cellar? and the 'top' of the tank is a bay window on the floor above! he gets in and wims round with the fish :eek:

Edit: Fish fan Jack Heathcote turns cellar into Britain's biggest home aquarium | Mail Online

Love the tank, Sanj. How do you get the filter pipes out for cleaning? They look wedged in through the stair rails.

Have you actually seen the man who tanked out his cellar? and the 'top' of the tank is a bay window on the floor above! he gets in and wims round with the fish :eek:

Yes, that tank is well known. I actually think that would be a little too much for me. :D

George Farmer described your home visit as the best ever in his opinion, I can see why, especially with talk of your breeding tanks too! The pathway would be nice and the higher foreground planting would be ideal, if its possible too it would add even more depth to the scape....but then again choosing plants to compliment the existing ones may be tricky unless you just add more of the same. Thanks again for the update, great tank.

Did he really say that? wow.

Yeah, im in two minds about how to take it further, maybe see how it goes or attempt the above. I quite like the open area, but because it is in the hall, the fish can get spooked occasionally. More planting on the left would maybe provide additional security.

I really like the look of this scape,once the plants fill in and mature it should look very nice,

John.

Hi Sanj. I'd be interested to see how this has grown in since the last update?

What sort of bioload do you have in that tank? How do you find the ritual of cleaning it and what does that ritual comprise of on a tank that size?

So err... I have been keeping the water quality going for the fish, but wound down maintenance wise on the plants and just let things happen although kept it under control. Nothing grows fast in here which suits at the moment. Not as nice as it was when I had a tennellus lawn...

Hallway_zps7vb7fvuu.jpg
close%20up%20700_zpsrpd2s75z.jpg

If you are interested the rainbowfish are:

M. douboulayi "Coliseum Creek"
M. kamaka
M. ajamaruensis
M. urisa
M. pygmae
M. sexlineata
C.axelrodi
C.alleni "Wapoga"
G. multisquamata "Pagai Mudhole"

Some are growing out to be moved later.

Those fish that look a bit like M.boesemani are actually M.ajamaruensis.

Back