• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

Hey George,

Liquid co2 can be used as an algaecide by overdosing the aquarium, as I said I use it at x2.5 - x3 the stated dose to great effect. My direct action of mechanical removal of algae using a tooth brush, daily 50-70% water change, the use of liquid co2, reduction of photoperiod and intensity and making sure that I had good flow ( changed filter output to spraybar) around the tank worked for me.

I have very minimal algae in the tank now and have increased photo period and intensity to 6hrs and gone back to 70% weekly water change with no adverse effects, if I start to see algae coming back I will again reduce the lighting.

For me this is the list of what I feel is the most important things I do to have a healthy tank....
1. Regular large volume water change, or lower volume more frequent water change.
2. Make sure that all equipment is cleaned when it needs it.
3. Lighting, co2 & EI equilibrium
4. Flow, I did not appreciate how important this was
The above are not in a specific order as they go hand in hand for a health algae free tank.

If you have anymore question feel free to ask, I'm not an expert but this works for me.

Jim

if you look to the last picture, its exactly the same, im just waiting to order my uv steriliser

if you haven't ordered yet, I wouldn't bother. I've seen barely anyone here using one, it's just not necessary. Need to keep focusing on the fundamentals to work out what's wrong! Like the light and the dechlorinator

I've got some work to do but I look forward to reading tomorrow :D

_DSC3497_zpsnq5kz9se.jpg

I've always been advised that you should go for quite a bit more filter than they are quoted for so I generally think to double the size of my tank in filtration capacity.

So by that idea, your filter is only suitable for a 50l tank despite saying 100l.

One of these would do the trick but you may be able to get an Eheim, used, on the forum for cheaper/similar money
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/All-Pond-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2edd6ddb30

I think we can all agree that we're with you for the long haul on this one George, stick with it and so will we... It'll look great once all the kinks are ironed out. Additionally it'll be a great tool for beginners to learn from as there is a wealth of knowledge already in this thread and I for one have learnt a lot.

Morning George,

Thank you for the water change pics. I would like to offer some advise on water changes... Try turning off you filter the next time you do one as it might be stirring up some detritus from your substrate, not saying it will help, but it might. I would also take out another 25% of the water and slowly diffuse the new water going into the tank. Could you post some pics of your in tank equipment tonight, the powerhead looks as though it still has algae on it along with the filter outlet and inlet. Until the algae issue starts to improve i would also do as many water changers as you can possibly do, one a day or every other day.

Did you start with all new equipment when you started your tank? it's just that from the first few pics you posted i can see algae on the filter pipes and diffuser?

Regards,
Jim

Back