• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter Decision

Sbb

Seedling
Hi,

I'm after some advice on filtration!

I've got a TMC 60 x 45 x 30 Freshwater and I'm looking to purchase an external filter.

Currently I'm looking at the Eheim 250t Professional 3 with the in built heater.

I was just wondering if these were any good? Reliable? Quiet?

Many thanks for any help

Hi Sbb

I've got an Eheim 350 Experience (not quite the same I know) and I'm very happy with it, the flow seems just about right for my ADA 60-P. If I was you I'd consider the 350t instead, you don't want to under-do the flow.... I've had to upgrade a few times until I settled on the 350. I would have bought the thermal one but I already had a Hydor heater so it seemed like unnecessary expense.

Cheers

Hi Sbb

I've got an Eheim 350 Experience (not quite the same I know) and I'm very happy with it, the flow seems just about right for my ADA 60-P. If I was you I'd consider the 350t instead, you don't want to under-do the flow.... I've had to upgrade a few times until I settled on the 350. I would have bought the thermal one but I already had a Hydor heater so it seemed like unnecessary expense.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for a reply!

Uh oh! I ordered the 250t Professional earlier on! Hopefully it will be ok! I'm not using Co2 in the tank so if thats what you are referring to in terms of flow then hopefully that won't matter!

Many thanks

Hi,

I'm after some advice on filtration!

I've got a TMC 60 x 45 x 30 Freshwater and I'm looking to purchase an external filter.

Currently I'm looking at the Eheim 250t Professional 3 with the in built heater.

I was just wondering if these were any good? Reliable? Quiet?

Many thanks for any help

Sbb, I have got a 650t Eheim Professional on my 400 liter tank, but I also have an older Eheim Professional 2 filter (450 litre) which together do the job. I have had no problems with noise or reliability and really like the fact that with the heater inside is one less bit of kit inside the tank.

It depends on what you can afford, but generally bigger is better in the long run.

If you do get the thermal version, the power supply to the heater and the filter are both separate. Whatever you do make sure you always unplug the heater and leave it off for at least five minutes for it to cool down before switching off your filter, otherwise you will be boiling the water in your filter which will not be pain free when you switch the filter back on again.

Cheers,

Steve.

I have a 250T and its fairly silent with good flow, been running 24/7 over the last year and it's not let me down yet. If you use the plastic filter media that comes with it I would recommend bagging it up as they are neutrally buoyant and can float about and get in the way when reassembling the baskets after a filter clean.

Whatever you do make sure you always unplug the heater and leave it off for at least five minutes for it to cool down before switching off your filter, otherwise you will be boiling the water in your filter which will not be pain free when you switch the filter back on again.

I have never encountered this. When changing water from the tank I use the flow lever to cut flow to the tank and I leave the heater on, the water never goes beyond the temperature the thermostat is set to and I've been 20 minutes sometimes before moving the flow lever back to return flow to the tank, I have even turned the pump off and left the heater on, zero issues, no boiling water. Only time I ever turn the heater off is if I'm going to gut the filter and empty it of water as it's not worth the risk running the heater dry.

:)

Back