• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lava rocks, 20 liters

It would be nice to have PAR readings for this tank. That way we can know something for certain. Someone willing to borrow PAR meter;)?

Jordi ...the tank is looking amazing. The plants are looking so healthy too. What do you mean by lean fert dosing? And how do you measure how much you need to dose in this regime?

Jordi ...the tank is looking amazing. The plants are looking so healthy too. What do you mean by lean fert dosing? And how do you measure how much you need to dose in this regime?
Thank you Faizal... I am just dosing K (about 20 ppm weekly) and micros (about 0.1 ppm Fe and other things). However, the whole substrate is Amazonia, thus nitrates and phosphates are being released. But I am not adding macros. For the moment it seems to work and plants are showing no signs of deficiencies, even with what I guess is medium-high light. My Co2 has been increased to 1.5 bps more or less, to make sure the CO2 demand is met as the biomass has doubled.
This tank is very resilient. I am just back from a 4-days trip and during that period there has been no dosing, no night aireation by raising the lily pipes... and it looked perfect

Jordi

Jordi, there are many witnesses that active soil substrate as Amazonia, may provide nitrates to the water, but often bind phosphates effectively reducing their level down to zero. Just a thing you might want to keep your eye on it.

but often bind phosphates effectively reducing their level down to zero
Yep, but no one will ever know if this is happening in my tank, therefore I just watch the plants. For the moment it seems that phosphates (or other nutrients) are not a problem as I have steady and healthy growth. I won't be adding anything until I see any sign. Honestly I am quite happy with the result

Jordi

Jordi, there are many witnesses that active soil substrate as Amazonia, may provide nitrates to the water, but often bind phosphates effectively reducing their level down to zero. Just a thing you might want to keep your eye on it.
This might just be the reason people like it so much. Maybe phosphates in water dont cause algae if co2 is perfect. But many of us dont have perfect co2 and no P in the water column might be best. Just rambling around sorry.

Hi all

3 months without updating the journal... and TBH it is not the best moment for doing so. Here's a picture after a post-vacation emergency trimming and a little sad story.

20508817396_31ff2018ac_b.jpg

I have been 10 days out and my sister-in-law was responsible for the "tank maintenance", which was basically coming home every 4 days for topping off the tank and adding some ferts (K and micros). Instructions were very clear (at least IMO and according to most people)... but sadly not for her. I got a bit nervous when I received a message on my phone saying "is there more orange liquid anywhere?". She meant my bulk solution of micros... you know, it is not a very nice feeling when someone does not have enough with a 350 ml bulk solution in a 20ish liter tank :confused:

Then I knew that she had topped off the tank... with my ferts solutions! (K and micros). After my calculations, the tank had for 24 hours 150x the micro and K levels... Then she did two minor water changes (probably 2 liters each time). Water temperature at 30ºC did not help. As a result when I came home yesterday all my Rotala red in the background which has grown very nice and compact (for the first time in my life!!!!) melted and what is worse, all my shrimps (+30) died. There is a bit of BBA here and there, but nothing serious.
Surprisingly Monte Carlo, H. pinnatifida and some mosses suffered, but are still doing well.

Not a big disaster, as the tank will recover from this but a bit sad with my red background and especially with all my shrimp colony... next summer I will record a video instructions for maintenance :)

Jordi

Hi Jordi, Ho No :banghead::(:( Why ho why cannot people understand simple Instructions ?? Sorry about the shrimp loss that's sad .

Scape is still looking good though and in a few week it will look fantastic again. Do you think the Rotala red will recover ??

Hi Jordi, Ho No :banghead::(:( Why ho why cannot people understand simple Instructions ?? Sorry about the shrimp loss that's sad .

Scape is still looking good though and in a few week it will look fantastic again. Do you think the Rotala red will recover ??
Thanks... Not sure if the Rotala will recover, as I trimmed all the stems to the ground and most of them were completely melted... Let's see if they have developed good roots and the can grow from nothing

Jordi

Hi all

the new background with (now only) H. pinnatifida is recovering very well after the massacre, but there is no too much contrast between the greens from pinnatifida and the mosses that are now all over the tank. The layout still looks a bit flat. This is why I have decided to add in the background some stems of Rotala rotundifolia and M. micranthemoides. The initial idea is to plant evenly the stems among the pinnatifida in order to have a mixed stem background but I am not sure if it is going to be a pain for maintenance (as plants will grow at different rates).
Your thoughts please...

Jordi

Hi all

Lava rocks is definitely recovered from the "fert soup" in which it turned after the accident this summer. I have worked on the foreground, defining moss patches and extending pinnatifida to the front. I have also improved the background planting R. rotundifolia, R. rotundifolia indica and increasing the presence of R. macrandra. M. micranthemoides was also planted. It cannot be seen in the picture yet but I have also added it to the mid-ground. The idea is to have a little stem jungle.
The plants are doing very well and today they needed a first hard trimming:

22416605162_500c44ef1f_k.jpg

Unfortunately the tank looks really ugly afterwards:

22243036119_bd1c161ad2_k.jpg

Hopefully in 2 weeks the background will have the color and density I want.
Forgot to mention that I have bought from China the ADA Aquasky knock-off version... nice piece of equipment and really makes a difference for growing stems. I did not expect it but it comes with dimmer.

Jordi

Back