• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres

Oh dear. No sign of the fry this morning. I think something went wrong last night. Both parents are still sticking together near the nest but absolutely no fry. Looked very long and hard for them. Gutted!:(

That's really unfortunate Mr.teapot! Don't despair hopefully they will spawn again soon!

Thats quite commen with cichlides, i had about 6 times a nest of Kribs and 3 times Angel Fish always after about 2 weeks taking care of the youngsters and very fanaticaly protecting them. All of a sudden they seem to get frustrated one way or another and start cannabilizing on them over night. All gone in one night.. I do not know why this happened with my cichlides all the time, my brother in law from whom i got them always did bred them with much succes. Back then i was to young to understand all technical and biological aspects around it, i only did observe that and also never had the intention to breed them in my communitie tank.

First i thought it was because they maybe feel threatened to much by other fish and the 250 liter tank was maybe to small , but this was contradictive from what i saw in the tank from my brother in law. More likely it has to do with water parameters.. But i realy don't know..

Sorry it happened to you as well.

Last edited:
Sad news, I've no doubt they'll spawn again and get it right this time.

My pair of Kribs spawned at the end of January and raised the fry successfully and I have 11 babies at around 20~30mm. They spawned again around 8 weeks later and the cloud of fry lasted around 3 days before mum and dad ate them all.

If it was their first batch then this is quite common, they will get it right it might just take them another couple of tries first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a bit of a surprise... Mum and Dad showed me their new family this morning. They're doing a good job at keeping them safe from the tetras. Down the shops for some brine shrimp eggs and salt. Anything else to feed them on?

Thinking I'm going to have to get a second tank for all these little chaps... there's over 100 of them! I was only looking after them for a short while and now I have all these little mouths to feed... I going to need a second job.

16968984714_d39ddd26dd_c_d.jpg

17404152998_f6af352772_c_d.jpg
Amazing

Sorry for you loss. I have some theories into why some Cichlids show signs of cannibalism to their broods having had a degree of success with Angels, Apistos and Rams. First one that pops to mind is the same as what the others have mentioned, in that it was probably their first brood so a few attempts should result in some improvements in parental care.

Another reason which I strongly believe could be due to the fact that most of our fish are commercially bred. Why might that be a problem? Well I do believe most commercial breeders minus the ones that perhaps do it as a hobby will pull eggs out to artificially hatch them without letting the parents do their job. Otherwise, the fry may have been able to learn from their parents through experiencing the process. It is probably to the commercial breeders' disadvantage if they have to wait until parent care to be sufficient before pulling the fry at a few weeks old as they risk not producing enough rams for a given amount of time.

A solution to improving parental bond and care could be seen through the use of dither fish. Many dwarf cichlid hobbyists will use fish such as Black Neons and some pencilfish with small mouths such as Nannostomus Eques and hatchetfish which usually stay at the top of the aquarium. These fish are good because they are unlikely to do any damage to fry but they are in the aquarium to provoke dwarf cichlids to gaurd their fry. Being tetras they usually escape the cichlids due to their speed some little harm are usually done to them. Although, you may still experience cannibalism but they method should be useful after several attempts at spawning. But at the end of the day it depends on the parents' characteristics etc.

That realy looks stunning, thats such a lovely show when they are breedind and caring for the babies.. :) Now you better prepare, if they come back so soon and get the hang of it and you're tank has the proper conditions, obviously, they will keep trying till they got it. You'll have a bunch of Rams swimming around one day. :)

Looks amazing mate. Hope they don't cannibalise this lot! Would be a shame :( all is good with the rest of the tank?

I love your tank. It looks like a mini landscape. It's amazing. The plants emersed going strong too?

What co2 system do you use? Regulator dual stage or single? With solenoid? I know you have an inline diffuser. How do you find the co2 distribution in comparison to a diffuser?

Hi, plants up top are doing OK as well - except the Heliamphora. Didn't like its feet in a warm bath. managed to save some of the plant and trying to nurse it back to health.
I use disposable 600g welding cylinders, cheap £20 regulator, solenoid. I've never used any other diffuser but the inline seems to have fine bubbles everywhere.

Slightly better pic:
18018639074_6639f2a144_c_d.jpg

Back