• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello, what next?

Steven c

good evening people. I'm Steve from s.e London
I've been reading up on this site trying to learn what to do, how to do it and when!!
So here's where I'm at ,at the moment. I brought the tank last Saturday (aquaone nano 40) it's been up and running since then, maybe jumped the gun abit buy adding water, I've put tetra substrate in the bottom(2 cm deep) topped with a fine gravel (3cm) don't really have plans at the moment other then keeping plants alive, I've kept some tropical fish successfully before but always failed with live plants, so this time plants come first maybe a few shrimp and tetras. I have brought co2 in a can my ph is about 7.8 I have been adding a few sprinkles of fish food to cycle the tank, I've placed a medium side log into the tank witch has tainted the water which I would rather change, I ordered a test kit which has come today , sorry this has turned into a uncontrolled rant with no direction or questions lol what should I be doing and when???

Welcome, you might of jumped the gun with that co2 can, don't think the aquaone nano LED is that great but could be wrong, you might of gotten away with liquid CO2 as the tank is quite deep.

I would read the tutorials especially the EI and CO2 ones.

I probably would try off with some "easy" plants. The tropica sight is a good start point then you can buy some plants from our sponsors. A couple of fast growing stems or floaters will eliminate the need for fishless cycling. Throw away the test kits and the ammonia :D

Good luck.

Hi Steven and welcome to ukaps.

Test kits, expensive and not needed IMO. I agree with EnderUK check out the easy plants as that can help to influence the design of the scape.

Will watch the thread with interest, good luck and keep us informed.

Jim

Thanks for the tips, still keen on getting started but removed the water from tank because didn't like the strain on the table I placed it on, i ordered a aquaone inspire stand 2 weeks ago from a certain online store it arrived last week but had two right side panels so couldn't be built, informed the company where I brought it from they said they will send the correct panel after me sending them some photos and a few emails, that was a week ago yesterday, called them yesterday to be told it was packed up but they forgot to post it!! Great!!! been told should be with me today, hopefully be able to crack on then. Nothing worse when your eger to get started. Lucky I have another tank which I'm cleaning up to kept me busy, it's a jewul rekord 600 I'm planning on removing the interal filter, any tips on doing that? Cheers

Hi Steve, I'm also from SE London and funnily enough also planning to get an Aquanano 40. You might want to use bottled ammonia to cycle your tank that way you're able to control the ammonia levels. If you need some I've got almost the whole bottle left from when I cycled my tank. As for co2, have you considered a low tech tank with soil? It seems to work well for others and you can still use bottled co2 if you still want, though it could start getting very expensive

As for the juwel rekord, I have a vision 180 I removed the filter from. I'd say use something thin and flexible to stab through the silicon. I ised the saw from a junior hacksaw. Using a sawing motion didn't work but using it to push between the silicone between glass and filter did

As for the juwel rekord, I have a vision 180 I removed the filter from. I'd say use something thin and flexible to stab through the silicon. I ised the saw from a junior hacksaw. Using a sawing motion didn't work but using it to push between the silicone between glass and filter did
Thanks I did it, was easier then i thought much more space to work with, what LFS do you use?

Wholesale tropicals in Bethnal green mainly, or castle aquatics in wellhall road (though I question the quality of fish there).

Ok cool didn't know there was one in wellhall, I used aquacadbra but they have moved now, not to far but they don't hold any tropical fish

Back