• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Curious...

genomecop

Hi guys. So I'm very curious about something that I see In members tanks. I'm so impressed with the initial setup and arrangement of wood, I love the hardscapes. But....I would love to understand the use of amazing forms of wood that only become slightly visible once the tank is grown in. Of course this is not everyones tank, but there are many. So...why spend the time hunting down signature piece when you cover it over?
Thanks and no judgement.

That's one thing you learn with time. The hardest part about aquascaping is imagining what the tank will look like once the plants have grown. When I'm starting a new scape, I tell my self not to get too caught up about every little detail in the rocks/wood as the majority of the time, and as you say, they get covered in plant mass anyway.

It kind of depends, if I'm using the hardscape to define the look, such as in an Iwagumi, or if I'm using the hardscape to grow plants on (ferns, anubias, moss) hence defining the scape, I keep going back andd forth with the hardscape till I get it just right. Other times... Wait, there are no other times. ;)

In time, you learn to "over-do" hardscape. It look dramatic when starting up a tank, but like said above, it's basically a matter of being able to picture the finished look.
Sounds easier than it actually is, since you must have good knowledge of growth-habit of the plants you use, and knowledge of possibilities of shaping them with your trimming.
- but that's the fun of it............we're all learning, little by little.......

Right, no need to use super expensive stones if they will be hidden by plants. The same with driftwood. Although at least for me, one of the most exciting parts of a new layout is going to the countryside to look for materials, something that usually implies planing two or three trips with the family. This is another cross-cutting benefit of the hobby!

I guess the point is to be able to produce something that looks nice for you (the tank will be in your home and you will want to enjoy it) but also in the pictures you take... And this combination is really difficult to achieve. In my past layouts, tanks were very pleasant to the eye but very flat when photographed. And I really don't want to produce something nice for pictures but weird to the eye as it happens in a lot of IAPLC entries with very strange layouts, solely produced for being shot and presented to a contest.

Another thing I have learnt is to keep things as simple as possible. My first layouts were crowded of plants. You want to try a lot of them and I think it is really nice to learn growing habits, but in most cases selecting the 3-4 species you can master and that fit well in your layout idea (as previous posters mention, plants that once grown will be aligned with your layout in terms of size, shape and colour), gives you a more pleasant aquascape and your hardscape can really contribute to the final result as the hardscape and plants will have more chances of being balanced.
Sounds easy but I'm struggling right now with all this!

Jordi

Getting nice rocks and wood is important to me as like it to look easy on the eye from the start. ( it's in the lounge for all to see) I never expect my plants to improve the look ie cover bits up the plants never grow well enough.:D

Thanks for all the replies. Now I just need to get a tank....

Hi guys

Just joined not sure where or how I am supposed to be communicating, but hopefully someone will know the answer to my question via this post

Been aquascaping for a year now and have come across an algae in my tank that I cannot find a name for on the Internet

It's defiantly not bga, I have had it before in another tank, not hair, or slime like.....

Really fluffy lightish green lumps that cling to rocks or plants and become detached wen touched.

Any idea

Cheers
3339641b12cdab5fa345870ce61b46ad.jpg

8ff84b841d1d46135e6aa5a78246188b.jpg
cd3ccede1d8c2d18543978af5cb772dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back