• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Compact Circulation Pumps

James D

I get plenty of flow out of my Eheim 350 Exp. but it looks like my hardscape is slowing it down a bit round the back of the tank. (I've only got a ADA P60 BTW)

I've been looking for a solution that has the least visual impact and have narrowed it down to these little tiddlers:

TUNZE-PUMP-MINI-5024

Eheim compact

Hydor Pico

Has anyone used these? Are there any pumps available that are even smaller?

Cheers

James

I had the Hydor Pico, it continually got debris stuck and had to be cleaned very regularly. I had it about half way up the tank wall tucked behind some wood and therefore if you had it higher the debris may not have been an issue so much. It also mangled several fish weirdly, including a horribly decapitated Albino Cory, they seemed to swim in the the outflow which was odd.

On reflection if it was higher and therefore avoided the debris/sticking issues the pump is small and for that size tank would probably deliver a fair flow if unobstructed.

I don't know if I like the sound of that Mark. :nailbiting:

I was actually thinking about putting it lower as you describe.

I can only say good things about the Eheim. I used the 1000 for over a year and never had any problems.

James, I have the Pico hanging around, I can send to you if you like and you can try it out? You may have more success than me....

Thanks Mark, that's a kind offer..... I just gone and bought one though, :) that'll teach me to be so impatient.

no worries, if you can cancel then do so, happy to send.

Otherwise report back with your findings!

how big is the area? The problem with the small ones is you end up getting a very narrow jet that is moving quite fast, which isn't great for the bulk flow you presumably want in an aquarium (i.e. entraining more water into the jet)

Hi Rahms, It's just to give the flow a bit of a boost around the back. There might well be enough there already but I figured a little more can't hurt.

Back