• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long will 5kg of c02 last?

Aqua Hero

In the the near future i may use pressurized c02 but one thing thats bothering me is how long it lasts. i have looked at some many posts on different forums and i still cant get a decent answer.

the tank is 120-145ltrs
dual 24w t5 unit which are on for 9 hrs a day
7-10x turnover from filter but minimal surface agitation
Packed with low light plants

if i were to run the c02 1bps and there were no leaks, how long would it last for?

I used 20gr per day in my 180litre tank with a green heading to yellow drop checker, so you will be looking at (for a 2Kg FE) 180/150 * 2000/20 -> 120 days.

My biggest piece of advice is get 2 of them. Order at the same time if you can to save shipping. We have two here so what when one runs out we can swap it the same day.

It's so hard to say how long it will last as you need to remember there are variations in everything compared to other people, even down to the size of the bubble in the counter! You might want to take a read through a very recent post about this here:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-long-do-you-get-out-of-a-cylinder.37242/#post-401933

i read that post and it was confusing. didnt really help. this is a link to the kit i might be getting http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...products/advance-complete-aquarium-co2-system

It's likely confusing as everything is subjective with this, you'll only get an estimate and it could be miles out to what you'd get.

thats the problem. i dont know if im gonna get a year out of the c02 or a few weeks

I think as Jamie has said, it is very confusing with lots of variables. Get a spare FE or make arrangements to refill it quickly (see the refill sticky), and just see how you get on.

You will likely be meddling with it a lot in the first few weeks while you try and get it all in balance.

good luck :)

Back