• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My custom build shallow tank RESCAPE (The 3 Peaks)

What are the specifics of your LEDs? Manufacturer/power/number if DIY!

I think people will find it easier to interpret those graphs if its an XY scatter, distance from light on X axis and PAR on Y. Then you add a curve (series) for each # of lights. It took me a minute to actually work out what was going on! :p

Hi Rahms Ive update the chart, any better? The light stands holds 2x TMC Aquabar freshwater 1000mm http://www.tropicalmarinecentre.co.uk/flipping/aquaray/index.html#/25/zoomed

As for the scape I have just order 50kg of mini landscape through work. I know its probably more than what I need but it gives me options for when I'm doing the hard scape.

Regards

Jonny

As for the scape I have just order 50kg of mini landscape through work. I know its probably more than what I need but it gives me options for when I'm doing the hard scape.

Regards

Jonny

I guess you'll have plenty of reason to start another tank after as well, wouldn't want all that rock going to waste :D

Don't think I described the chart very well, here's what I was meaning (I put in made up numbers):

ifsRMoj.png

You'd have another 2 lines for your 46cm results, but they should be similar for equal distance eg. for 22cm x 1 at the bottom of your tank, the distance from probe to light is 44cm (22cm light->tank + 22cm below surface), and your PAR is ~24. For 46cmx1, your distance to the top probe is 47cm (46cm to light + 1cm below surface), and PAR is ~20. The difference is most likely experimental error. Water does attenuate more than air but I'm not sure how much you'd see (and this example indicates the opposite).

This is more of a "for future reference" type thing, can still see all this info from your current plots!

Hi all,

While I impatiently wait for my rock to arrive, I decided I would try sketch out my scape idea. My drawing skills are not great but I think they show what ill be trying to achieve.
17455192654_24c1ac2f59_o.jpgSketch 3 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
18051395006_7df9307b2f_o.jpgSketch 1 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

I also got a moment this morning to take some close up shots of the lighting bracket. Hope these are informative enough.
17889914228_287da8c266_o.jpgIMG_1797 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
18078759811_167b3aac40_o.jpgIMG_1786 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
17457280353_3a19abf7be_o.jpgIMG_1782 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
18051382366_9a151df0a8_o.jpgIMG_1787 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
17889892618_7e87c328fd_o.jpgIMG_1788 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
17889940338_84aa43171c_o.jpgIMG_1795 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
18077840555_7ae69efdf6_o.jpgIMG_1796 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
17889881348_0c37346916_o.jpgIMG_1789 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

If you have any questions, fire away!!

Regards

Jonny

love the light bracket but perhaps your friend should have fully welded all the joints to stop water getting in and rust forming.
I've got a 4' tank that needs some new lighting, I might have to steal your design and rework it to include a shade.
Also your sketches are much better than I could do, looking forward to see what you do with the rocks when they arrive

love the light bracket but perhaps your friend should have fully welded all the joints to stop water getting in and rust forming.
I've got a 4' tank that needs some new lighting, I might have to steal your design and rework it to include a shade.
Also your sketches are much better than I could do, looking forward to see what you do with the rocks when they arrive

Thanks Big clown, yer I try not to look at it I think I need to get him to make a cap or something to hide the cables.

@Martin in China thanks I hope hardscape lives up to my expectations.

So today I was working on our stall for work at Gardening Scotland and I decided to take a wander around the other stalls (i was aiming for the bonsai stalls) On my way back I stumbled across this bog plant and after speaking to guy behind the stall I was confident that i have stubbled onto my plant to go above the water line. That plant is Utricularia sandersonii

18087135170_9cea800302_k.jpgIMG_0741 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

18271072442_0984f8a8f4_k.jpgIMG_0742 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

So the idea is to have 5 peaks above the water line, the inspiration came from @Greenfinger2 and his lovely wabi kusa thread, i hope i can use the inspiration from his thread and create 5 lovely peaks above the waterline using wabi kusa techniques.

Jonny

So it turns out carrying 50kg of rock 1 mile in two trips was a lot harder than I thought :arghh:. but with many stops later I got it all back to my flat and was ready to scape. Then I get a call from the boss saying I'm working away for a couple days so.........i will have to wait TWO More days :( whats 2 more days in 6 months of waiting??

Hi all,

I decided to fling some rock in just to get a basic idea on how i would like my layout and i got something that i kinda like. So I thought id take a quick and dirty phone snap of the tank with rock in.

18464741452_3d8ec2304a_k.jpgIMG_0766 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
17848330003_2666badb2c_k.jpgIMG_0767 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
17846338674_da6b7f685a_k.jpgIMG_0768 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

layout and rock orientation will need tweaking. Ill be ordering plants on Monday to arrive next Thursday so I have plenty of time

Please hurl constructive criticism at me because my hardscaping has not been great in the past.

Jonny

Looking good Jonny, Your biggest challenge will be getting flow around all those rocks, no doubt you have a plan though.
If you want to make life easier monte carlo grows far easier and better with no substrate than HC.

Look forward to seeing it planted.

Thanks greenfinger2

Looking good Jonny, Your biggest challenge will be getting flow around all those rocks, no doubt you have a plan though.
If you want to make life easier monte carlo grows far easier and better with no substrate than HC.

Look forward to seeing it planted.

Thanks Iain, I have arranged the rocks to allow the water to flow around however if I do need to add more flow I have created a channel that can only be seen at a certain angle that a single power head will provide more than enough flow to the planted regions. Thats the theory at least.

Thanks I'll try HC, but I'll keep the Monte Carlo in mind.

Heres a cheeky video of the scape.

https://vimeo.com/user37019755

Hope you enjoyed the video

Jonny

Back