• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Next Episode - 800 litres

Cheers, the only reason I asked is because I thought the TDS was similar to the microsiemens (electrical conductivity) - salt concentration in the water. So the higher the microsiemens (TDS) the less chance the is of the eggs hatching. That is one mighty clutch of eggs on that boxwood, did they all go white and fluffy?

Steve

No they all stayed nice and healthy. The first batch lasted a lot longer though, these were gone for about 11 o'clock the next morning. I showed a breeder a picture of their first lot and he was surprised by the amount, to say it was their first time.

I'm fed up of waiting for the plants now so it's time to bring out the big guns :D

TBH I can't say I've noticed any difference between using liquid carbon and not.

Instead of a separate pump, I've decided to run it off my current pump. I'm only using it on speed 4 so I'll crank it up to max and then just divert through the reactor until I'm back as I was.

This is it anyway. It's got 2 taps so I can isolate the reactor and the ball valve to adjust the flow through it. It will just plumb into the existing 25mm return.

image.jpg

I've just managed to get hold of a brand new posh chrome 5kg FE as well for £25 :thumbup:

It will more than likely be next weekend though when I can get everything plumbed in and running :thumbdown:

Looks awesome! Is it running now

Yes mate, all up and running. No pics though so don't get too excited :D

Co2's been on 2 weeks now, upped the light quite a bit and no algae so all good. Hopefully the plants will realise soon and kick into action :rolleyes: Some plants are really well rooted so should take off now, but some seem to be slow to anchor down.

Reactor works a treat, 100% dissolution (if that's the right word?) and a 1ph drop. A billion bubbles per second for all the BPS geeks :p

The cat litter has been a nightmare and should be left for the sole use of cats using it as a toilet! :meh:

I'm also siphoning out the sand on the weekly water change, I'm going back to the black basalt I had in the other tank and throwing some MC in. Sand should be left on the beach! :D

I've had an outbreak of snails as well, no idea where they have come from. I've not introduced anything new, everything is from the old tank. Unless snails can hitch hike on fish, that's the only explanation o_O

I'll get pics up once its actually worth taking a pic of :meh:

Getting curious! And as far as the attack of the snails, get some assassins (Anentome Helena), they should sort that out in no time.

I did think of assassins, but at this moment I'm not going to bother. They're around 3mm in size and never get any bigger, so as long as they don't turn into plant munching monsters I'll sort them out eventually, or find the root cause at least. @Big clown mentioned over feeding and decaying plant matter so will try and sort this out first.

Quick phone pic update.

I removed the rest of the sand yesterday, put the black basalt in and planted some MC. The plain sand foreground just wasn't doing it for me.

I plugged some more holes in the rock so hopefully I've finally stopped the cat litter pouring out.

Still need some magdalensis to fill the front gaps where you can see the cat litter.

The plants are starting to show signs of life now as well, which is good :lol:

The white dots everywhere are obviously the snails.

Not a great picture but gives you a vague idea :D

image.jpg

Just tapwater and prime mate. I did think about getting an HMA filter, but with everything going as it is there's not much point really is there? I don't really want to start messing around with RO though.

I was told I may have trouble getting the discus eggs to hatch in my tap water, it may be too hard at around ph7. The breeder I bought the first discus from just used treated tap water, not sure what the ph is around Birmingham though. TBH I'm not going all out to breed them anyway, I just see it as a sign that they're happy. If I do get some wrigglers then that's a bonus :thumbup:

Simon H?

Where are the Altum Floras from, the one in the centre of the photograph has coloured up a treat!?!

Simon H?

Where are the Altum Floras from, the one in the centre of the photograph has coloured up a treat!?!

No mate. If I remember right, Simon is East Midlands discus, or the bloke who sells on aquarist classifieds. If I am right then the altums and snakeskin are actually from him, but via a middle man.

The one you mentioned is absolutely flying. These phone pics are around 2 weeks old now, but show the difference between the 2 a bit clearer:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I made the biggest schoolboy error of all time though by not quarantining them so they didn't have the best of starts really. I ended up losing 3 of the pigeons over it anyway, which I wasn't too happy about. The 2 smallest died but I also lost the female of the breeding pair. Pretty gutted, especially since I've raised them from 8 weeks old :(

Nice, and those fish look very happy...as for the snails try this...http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/snails-invasion.36137/#post-395496

Cheers Troi. I'll have a read through that as well, thanks.

Last edited:
The "new" pair are at it already, it's as if I know what I'm doing o_O

He's eating them as fast as she lays them though, he doesn't seem too impressed by her choice of site. She's laying them on a leaf whereas he's cleaning off his old stomping ground on the wood :D

After he's eaten the eggs, he sort of head butts the leaf then slams himself through it. I'm not sure if he's trying to destroy the leaf, or if that's just discus talk for "have a word with yourself love" :lol:

Quick phone pic update to prove this still exists :woot:

Since the last update I've been working away constantly, so the tank has been running super low tech (neglected :angelic::lol:)

I managed to spend quite a few hours on it today, clean the filters, pull some plants which weren't doing too well, rearrange a few plants etc etc

The discus are still breeding, everyone's happy, so all good :thumbup:

I planted some Java Fern on the rocks to try and bring the green towards the front and also planted some glosso in the sub. I already have MC in the sub but it just isn't doing anything. Maybe the light, Co2, or the temp, not sure. It's well rooted though, just slow. Anyway.....

image_zps2lp3jot3.jpe

Any ideas to make it look a bit more "special" appreciated :thumbup:

Back