• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this algae?

tmiravent

Hi everyone,
can you ID this? [the red part on top of green leave]
Is growing in the emersed part of the Mini Bolbitis (this leaves will died eventually, i believe... )
Thanks

wttAX3UAzjr-jpqy-NB8IlMWdMmeCz-4HxBZKo6cIq0=w960-h782-no.jpg

Looks like a kind of Coral Fungi :) could be Clavaria Miniata known as Flame Fungus hence the name it is orange to red in color en occasionaly growes branched like this, but usealy spikey. It growes in the subtropics.. If it is Flame Fungus, a funny note in this is, it's often found in and around Ferntrees.

Does Coral Fungi grows inside water? As far i can see, this one grew completely inside water... :eek: The structure seems different also...
The Mini Bolbitis is inside the tank since March! :bored:
Left the old and emersed leaves for propagation (is like the ferns) and they are giving lots of new shots, but this one is different...
For now, i'll call it:
- the horn of the devil!

tanks everyone,
cheers

No it grows in semi subtropical regions on forest flores, but you said it growes emerged on that fern leafe. And the only red or orange colored fungus i know of that can grow in such a form is the Coral Fungi - Flame Fungus. Fungi is just a mushroom and like algea the spread with spores. So it just might blew in with the wind and landed by change on that ferns leave. To me it rather looks like a sort of mushroom than something else. :)

But Darrel could be right as so often :).. I don't realy know, never have seen red algea in my life and also not even algea that tall growing emersed..

I could be spot on there, with the Portuguese Seaweeds. :) Since you're finding this in a tank in your house in Lisbon. Interesting that it grows in a freshwater tank..

Hi, someone suggested to me that could be Thorea Hispida - Rhodophyta.
It looks a lot like that!
The scale, texture and color match, i think...

936699_389829541212965_79500347047874614_n.jpg

should i take it out? or let it grow? :bookworm:
Is a good algae or bad one? o_O
It's a sing of some deficiency?

Learning something new everyday,
cheers

Yes it does look similiar to Thorea hispida, which makes sense because Thorea hispida is the gametophyte stage of the BBA that you have there, Audouinella heterospora.

Back