• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90cm LED recommendations please.

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hiya,

Still pondering which light unit to use on my new edgeline 90cm. anyone got some recommendations for 90cm ballasts?

Looking for that balance of performance with a sensible cost.

Cheers,
John

I'd ask for details on LED's used
They also offer a 90cm lamp so I'd choose that over the 75 unless you don't mind light light "fall off" at the tank ends

The 742mm length is for 75-100cm aquariums and 895mm for 90-115cm aquariums, so I would think 742 would be fine.

so id still need two of them thou for medium/higher light....

There is also 895mm length and try Amazon last time I looked it was a lot cheaper.
much cheaper on amazon :)

it does seem people (me included) are really struggling to find decent solid info on the new ranges of LED's. I've actually tested with a PAR meter the more budget options of the Arcadia Stretch and the TMC aquabars. Basically each was approx to a t8/t5 respectively.

this aquatlantis light looks (though lm readings) to be about 1.5 a T5 bulb. being that the tank is 45 deep i think if i mounted it directly on the surface i wouldn't get the desired spread so i'd have to bring it up a bit and suspend it, meaning id need two. or just buy two and dimmers for each and surface mount. with the dimmers costing another 40 it does send the price up towards 300....

irs a shame the tmc aquabars are 100cm. i do like the two i have on my 60cm. much better then the styling on the other tmc units.

Last edited:
That's the way I understand it too...the compromise between affordability and controllability seems to be a perennial problem with LED, but I think the aqualantis at least appears to be a fairly decent compromise...

yeah the more i've read about them they do seem an excellent suggestion. am going to go with them i think. just cross referencing the total cost and weighing it up against the arcadia otl led...

edit..

from a video ive watched the 895mm model looks to sit rather well on a 90p so i think ill go for that so that there isnt too much of a light (PAR) drop off at the edge/sides of the tank.

Last edited:
£350 for two 895mm units, dimmer, y spitter, bigger 5A power supply.

£290 for the 820mm arcadia classica OTL freshwater LED (including suspension kit not inc above)

humph

If you do get the Aquatlantis please do post PAR ratings compared to TMC, I'd be interested to know :)

I use the Ecotech Radion XR15FW, cracking light so far although my tank is only 60cms wide.

i'm off to play with the OTL and a par meter now to see if i can be bothered with the spread and suspension etc.

the expensive part of the potential aquatlantis double rig would be the extra addition of the dimmer, splitter and bigger power supply which would be needed just based on the lum output stats. it adds about 100 to the price. being a touch dumb about it all last night however leds me to reprice it with two lights, two dimmers at £286 :)

So has the jury reached a verdict John?

i've not bought anything yet but am leaning towards the Aquatlantis duo set up. After reading a fair bit about the Arcadia, its light rendition, the light spill (important for this living room tank) and chatting to the LFS about the number of units they have had to replace (although obviously its a few years old model now so production may be better) i'm thinking the Aquatlantis would be more to my liking.

Do you think you'd need 2? I'm interested as I'm looking to change my Aqua One AR850 70W T8's to something brighter but controllable. I'd only have room for 1 in the current hood though.

Back