• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

filter media

a rix

Hi all iam new here and in the process of setting up a new planted aquarium the tank will be a rio 180 with a fulval 406 filter I was wondering what would be good media to put in it any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum! There are plenty of discussions on filter media in the Filtration section of the forum. If you are using CO2 people like to remove media to get more flow. Can you tell us what you are thinking of doing with your tank?

Nothing to high tech just some nice looking healthy plants maybe a small group of carpeting plants. and a some tetras, something along those lines.

Many thanks Anthony

Thank you iam really looking forward to setting this up

Could I not add a power heads as i have got a jebao wp 10 kicking around. And keep my filter as i all ready own it i would rather not buy another

So back to my original question what media would you recommend i use

Personally, I would choose a moderate amount of filter media that won't compact and stop flow. My preference is:

• Mechanical: One layer of filter foam (not floss)
  • Biological: Eheim SubstratPro or ceramic rings
  • Chemical (optional): Purigen or activated carbon

If you are lightly stocking with fish and have plenty of healthy plants then you won't need a huge amount of media - thereby keeping the turnover rate high. You'll just need to ensure that the filter sponge is regularly cleaned (preferably in tank water from a water change) to prevent it clogging and reducing flow.

Hi all,
You'll just need to ensure that the filter sponge is regularly cleaned (preferably in tank water from a water change) to prevent it clogging and reducing flow.
I like a PPI10 or PPI20 foam as well, but I have it on the filter intake, that way it is easy to clean without having to open up the body of the filter.

Basically I want ammonia and oxygen in the filter, and nothing else. You also want to ensure that all the filter media is fully aerobic, which means that you don't want the flow slowing too much in the filter.

Companies are always trying to sell "special (ie. expensive) media" based on the concept that as well as aerobic nitrification, anaerobic de-nitrification will occur in the finer pore spaces. Lets just say I don't think this is a good idea.

You can DIY the pre-filter from a sheet of foam (like below)
eheim_sponge.jpg

or use the drilled ppi20 12" x 4" cubes that they sell for Koi ponds (I usually cut these into 4" x 4" cubes).

perforatedinserts4.jpg

After that I just 1/2 fill the body with glass/ceramic rings, Eheim "cocopops" (SubstratPro), Alfagrog, Pumice, Hydroleca, Floating cell media, or more PPI10 sponge.

If money wasn't a consideration I'd have PPI10 Poret foam pre-filter and "coco-pops" as the internal media, but I wouldn't buy either specially if I had other sponges etc to hand.

4-in%20cubes%20with%20cubelifter.jpg

I've not tried them recently but plastic pan scrubbers are probably just as good.

cheers Darrel

Back