• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about the Dry Start Method

Andy D

Hi All,

I have a bits and pieces lying around so have decided to give the DSM a go.
My set up consists of a battered P@H 19litre tank, desk lamp with a horrible coloured bulb (too orange for my liking), lava rock and cat litter.

My question is this - knowing that the substrate I have set up will collapse a certain amount when water is added should I fill the tank up, let the substrate collapse, sort it out and then drain the tank or leave it as it is in the hope that the plants keep the lower levels in check and I just have to deal with the higher levels. I hope that makes sense?

Here is a shot of the tank if this helps.

201069b71f77a2e0d9ad066d3019b08f.jpg

You could try it like this, initial water level right at the level of the substrate at the front, that should cause some "collapse" of the substrate. Just top it of every other day by misting the tank.
Plus, the plant roots could/ should be able to keep things together, especially if you add some crypts.

Personally I would fill it up to the top as per normal wit tap water. run an internal filter with floss in it to take out the dust that gets stirred up. Then after 24 ours the cat litter should have soaked up a lot of the KH and other nutrients. Drain it down to te lowest substrate level and ten set it up for DSM.

Thats what I do with akadama.

I wouldn't think it would be needed wit ADA AS as it is already 'filled up' with nutrients and you may 'wash' some out using this method. This is more for the substrates that aren't 're-loaded'.

For example Akadama will take my hard water from 19KH down to 0KH witin 24 hours the first time it is soaked. At the same time as it is pulling the KH out of te water it is soaking up other nutrients so you are in effect 'pre-loading' it yourself and therefore it will have some nutrient in it for when the plants are added in a DSM stage.

I suppose you could also dose the water you add in to te tank to boost that pre-loading.

Back