• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blue in Green

Cheers Jim

I am a bit worried about the amount of light to be honest, I've been looking at dimming options but didn't know there was one specifically for this unit. I'll let you know if I find another solution.

I was just on that shop looking for it, I couldn't find it on it's own though so thanks for the link.... I'm off to order it now. I just got myself a stainless steel CO2 diffuser from there last week, I'm waiting for it to arrive before I hook my CO2 up.

I was just on that shop looking for it, I couldn't find it on it's own though so thanks for the link.... I'm off to order it now. I just got myself a stainless steel CO2 diffuser from there last week, I'm waiting for it to arrive before I hook my CO2 up.

that exact dimmer is what comes up if you search "LED inline dimmer" on ebay, and its £3! No remote but if you dont think you'd use the remote anyways....

I opted for one of these in black:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-LED-...482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce217f85a

because I didn't want to accidentally turn on strobelights for my fish, lol.

Excellent thanks Rahms, presumably that one lets you set default level for when it switches on. In which case James I would go with his suggestion (or both if you want the remote option!).

Anyway sorry to derail your journal onto cheap electronics from China, but hopefully it will give you options in terms of lighting!

That's why I looked around for an old fashioned turny-knob-doodad, yeah! But if you look at the description for the other ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Sli...636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c3376bbd4

it does say "auto-memorize function," so maybe yours is defective. I presumed that means it remembers the last setting.... But maybe it only works if you turn off using the dimmer.

And yes sorry for the spam james, guess you'll have to post some photos to tidy the place up :p

No problem, I was looking for all this info. I've already ordered the first one but I might go and order Rahms' one as well, as it's only £3.

Got some fish - 12 Diamond Neon Tetras. I went fish hunting at the weekend and after visiting everywhere in Shrewsbury I decided to try Ripples in Telford and these little beauties caught my eye (I actually had Emperors in mind). I had Neons last time and wanted something different but I'm very pleased with these in terms of behaviour and appearance, they've coloured up really nice and are like little gems in my tank, much nicer than standard neons.

I've also made quite a few changes to my scape, I've removed a lot of wood and added new plants. No photos as yet though, I need to get rid of the tanins from my wood first.

Unfortunately I'm having a bit of an green hairy algae issue, I think it came in with the moss I bought as it was there from day one. I've been trying manual removal but it's been returning, I want to try easycarbo on it but I'm worried about the effect on my new Vallisneria nana I've got planted round the back. Any suggestions would be welcome, for now I think I'll try dimming the light a bit and continue manually removing it. I did a large water change last night and cleaned and added some purigen to the filter (it was filthy!) so the water's looking a bit clearer.

PS. I'll go back and put the equipment, plants etc on the first post

P1040927.jpg

P1040910.jpg

P1040925.jpg

Edit: I got the new name from a Mile Davis LP I was listening to last night. :cigar:

Last edited:
Cheers Mr Teapot. Hopefully it'll look a bit better when it's grown in a bit.

I've got algae problems..... I did mention that I got some sort of algae (probably hair algae) from day 1, I think it was in the moss that I bought. Anyway, there must be issues with my set up because it's been spreading. I've increased Co2 and get a lime green drop checker before lights on, flow seems to be ok, and I'm generous with my EI, I have been running my light on almost full power though so I would think it's the probable cause.

Anyway, I'm going to try a three or four day blackout so I could do with a bit of advice form anyone who's successfully tried it. Should I keep up with my ferts dosing? Presumably I should turn my CO2 off? Should I be spot treating with Excel? Should I feed my fish the same?

I'll be doing a big water change tonight and then starting the blackout so any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

James

Cheers mate. I haven't left it unchecked, most nights I spot a bit and pluck it out, the problem is it's growing in my moss so I can't get rid of it all without pulling out the moss (which hasn't fully established itself on my hardscape). To be honest I haven't been spot treating it as yet because I was worried about my new Vallis melting, I think I'll give it a go first though, I can always replace them with something else if they react badly.

Thanks again.

Hi James, I have read that vallis does melt when using Excel ? Hope all go's well mate.

i swear val melts if you talk to it in the wrong tone, or forget its birthday...

and james its still looking really good to my (admittedly untrained) eye! can't really tell between algae-free moss and "clean" moss

Cheers Rahms, that because I keep fiddling with it and plucking out any long bits. It's actually matted into the moss so it's hard to see unless you're close up.

I'll try and get some pics up in the next day or so. In the mean time I'll keep zapping it with easycarbo, sod the vallis.

It's time for a quick update, sorry about the rubbish phone pics.

Cyperus Helferi has been added at the back and it's growing like a weed.
Ammania Bonsai of some sort has just been added (only a few days ago).

Fissidens has been added to one of the branches, it will be added to more branches once it's grown enough.

Xmas moss has been removed from the lower branches as it wasn't doing to well, probably due to not enough light as it's ok higher up, it still seems a bit brownish though, I'm not too happy with it.

As you can see I've added a small Tunze circulation pump at the back as the Cyperus was blocking the flow too much.

Finally, I'm thinking of removing the Hydrocotyle as I'm having trouble controlling it and it looks a bit too untidy. I'll possibly make an Ammania Bonsai 'forest' around the bottom of the wood instead but I'm open to suggestions as to what might look nice around there.

x3QsPfd.jpg

pGEerYb.jpg

I've also improved my cabinet by clading it with black gloss 'hips' (a high impact plastic) this was quite easy as I had the drawings for my cabinet and I was able to laser cut the 'hips' to the exact size and stick it on with a strong double sided tape. You can't see much on the photo but it's a really nice finish!

1RjfTng.jpg

The set up's been stable (touch wood) for a while now, no algae or anything, so I cranked up the lights to full for the first time last night..... It was the first time I've ever had pearling in my tank.

Cheers

James

Back