• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The X Factor

What. The. Hell.

Why did Laura go? I admit, she wasn't one of my favourites, but come on. She did sing funny though tonight, don't you think? Kind of all high and she didn't pronounce the words right, it was quite weird.

Well, all the same it wasn't the best show but it was pretty good.

JLS - still pretty average for me but I know a lot of people like them and I still reckon they'll make the final.

Eoghen - he's still growing on me slowly but surely. He won't make the final, sorry Simon but he's definately improving.

Alexandra - sort of one of my favourites now, but she still hasn't really done it for me. She'll probably make the final.

Ruth - kind of growing on me too and is on the same level of likeness as Alexandra for me probably. I don't think she'll make the final though. I prefer her when she sings when she's in the bottom two though. She always pulls it out of the bag then. Like they said before though, she doesn't have a region voting for her or anything because she's from Spain.

Rachel - I felt sorry for her. I know that's what they want us as an audience to do but I like her. I just wish I could pop through the TV, give her a slap and some advice to shut up. She's spoiling it for herself. I still like her though, she just needs one good performance and she'll be off I think but she needs to get her blahblahblahblah into gear.

Daniel - don't know what he's doing there still, but has got slightly better. Isn't as bad as he was originally. Should go though, especially over the people that have gone over the last couple of weeks.

It was such a shame about Diana. My dad said it was unfair that they still had to go ahead and vote someone out because she didn't sing, but I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles. I agree that it was unfair but it can't be helped if you're ill, and the doctor did advise against it.

Is it just me or is Louis turning into a rude little Irish man too? That was a little bit below the belt when he went off at Cheryl.

Laura went because Rachel cried and Laura got a little too clever with the piano. she didn't sing very well whilst she was playing it either. The last part was much better but the mistake had already been made. Add to that whilst being a great voice she has got more and more boring show by show IMO. She's not someone you remember and her voice is getting stranger and stranger. Reminds me of Cleo Lane sometimes and I'm just waiting for a scat to appear in each song.

Tonight I picked Ruth and Rachel. Ruth because the spanish thing has run its course and she just doesn't have anything else for me. plus she sings with a lisp. Rachel because yet again she was rubbish!!! Sick of hearing that she is doing it for her kids (or maybe she is because they would be better with a nanny whilst she goes round the world on tour working 16 hour days on promotion etc. ;)) Either way she has had her chance 5 times and only been close to good enough once (feelin good - 6/10) She should be outta here.

Other opinions tonight were:

Eoghan - best performance and really starting to become a star. His voice seems to get better each week.

Daniel - 2 weeks in a row and he's sounded really good.

Alexandra - Pretty weak. Can't believe the judges thought she was so good. Did they not hear the bum notes? She does however have the best voice in the competition and for me also the best body and prettiest face BUT she is pretty boring like Laura.

JLS - Not as good as previous weeks but showing they are a class act. I think they are defo finalists with Dian and probably at the moment Eoghan (unless the judges continue to fix Rachel staying in!!!)

And about time Simon and Louis put gobby Cheryl in her place. How many weeks did she think she could gob off at 2 experienced pop impressarios. Loved it when Louis said 'little miss celebrity, thinks she knows it all' the westlife 'they've had more hits than you luv' was good too.

Hopefully Simon will kick her off after 1 season and get someone who either knows their place/knows their stuff.

If Diana is not fit to sing next week then I'm afraid she will have to go. Can't be getting to a final without singing.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Alexandra - Pretty weak

your joking right? :wideyed: she was the best, and has been the most consistent singer through out.

as for diana, for me shes the best, but she should of gone this week. its not fair. how do you get through without signing.

this program needs to be taken of our tv's. its just full of sob story's now. i have to watch/listen to it as my wife, for some strange reason, loves it.

^ I agree about Alexandra and Diana, I don't think she should go though. I agree that it's unfair, but unfair as it is she's ill and was advised not to sing. It's not anyone's fault. It could have been made more fair somehow though, for example nobody goes but then the show would be running behind. It's just one of those things.

I've listened to it again on you tube and I have to admit there are only a couple of slight offs. Sure it sounded worse when I heard it live but there ya go.!!!

Eoghan was surprisingly best tonight just for the fact that beforehand you would think 'he's got no chance with that weak voice' and somehow he came through with quite a lot of power. Alexandra was on 'homeground' and should have been able to sing the whole song absolutely perfectly. I'll bet she knows that song like she should know the way to my front door ;) but I still think she is a bit boring song and performance wise. Everything is Diva style. Too similar to everything else that has gone before.

Diana not performing was a first for X factor but I seem to remember Rik Waller on Pop Idol having a similar situation before having to concede a week later. So long ago I can't remember what happened for sure.

I think at the end of the day they should just get rid of the lowest vote. Not have a sing off and let the judges decide. If you are going to let the public decide who isn't in the bottom 2 then why not let them just vote who is the bottom. Then they should get an itemised account of everyone who votes for Rachel and bar their numbers on Saturdays so that we don't have to listen to her messing up each week. Daniel is not very good but at least he sings in tune for most of the song and doesn't forget the words.

AC

You have to remember there isn't really a market for the 'older' singer anyway. Its basically a nominal gesture to make it equal opportunities. lol. Where is Steve Brookstein? Daniel is just doing his best really. The 'themes' don't really lend themselves to his style.

your joking right? she was the best, and has been the most consistent singer through out.

She has been the most consistent throughout without ever leaving her safety zone or style. Even big band week she just did a Aguilera copy. Every week a different Diva. Boring. Oh my god its Leona Lewis next week. More of the same then. yawn.

I think they play with the format too much to giev themselves more leverage of who wins rather than have another Michelle McManus or Steve Brookstein (Or Leon Jackson) where they know they are a no-brainer commercially in the long run.

I think that is why Leona beat Ben the other year. He was by far the more talented and his voice didn't 'hiccup' at the end of each sentence like hers but would he have sold as many records? No. Definately wouldn't have broken the RnB market (being a musician myself I still don't understand why they label anything black as RnB.)

Probs also the same last year. They may make a little more from Leon than Rhydian. I don't think they wanted either in the final but Rhydian had great stage prescence and a superb voice. I didn't watch X Factor last year until I heard Phantom of the Opera coming through the wall (wife was watching) and then I watched the rest of the series.

This year they have made sure they can eliminate the crap before the end and they don't care ifthey get rid of a bit of talent on the way so long as they can get ratings while they are gambling on the ones they want being bottom 2. I bet next time Daniel is in the bottom 2 they will HAVE to eliminate him in case he stays out of the bottom 2 from then on. All the rest left are marketable and sellable including Ruth (even if they have to make their money from hispanic countries.)

Roll on next week. Daniel or Rachel out (hopefuly Rachel)

AC

The theme to the show isn't Leone Lewis next week, she's just performing. The theme is 'Best of British'. e.g. Queen, Take That etc. It doesn't mean she's gonna do diva again.

Haha, yeah she probably will. But look at Leona Lewis, she did diva every week and she's the most successful and talented winner of The X Factor so fat IMO. You wouldn't catch Girls Aloud singing metal or Take That rapping. :)

Is true but Take That started in a period where there was no competition as did Girls Aloud.

The only competition that stayed alive whilst Take That were around were Boyzone and they only took off once Take That split.

Girls Aloud were marketed at a very different audience than other girl bands like Atomic Kitten and Sugababes.

Leona Lewis has the added bonus of having a black parent which makes her acceptable to both audiences in America. She has also been given more mainstream music now as Diva huge voices are not so fashionable at the moment.

Divas have had their day hence why Mariah and to some extent Alicia Keyes have sold out to the current 'RnB' soft beat sound and Whitney/Braxton et al have disappeared without a trace.

AC

Yeah. I think the reason that people like Alexandra sing diva songs is to prove that they can sing the belters.

Just like Karaoke I hate to say. The charts are full of people who can sing belters but don't because they don't sell anymore yet when you go to a Karaoke everyone is singing the belters. Strange. They always sing them but they never buy them.

AC

I think Eoughen is growing each week, both in confidence, vocally and probably also in popularity (certainly for me). He's not the best though.

I don't get the whole hype over JLS. I mean, they are good...yeah, just good. But, eveyrone I speak to loves them for some reason.

I think it's unfair that a lot of people have slated Diana that she couldn't perform last week. It wasn't her fault - at the end of the day, if you're ill and you can't sing then you can't sing. The doctor strongly advised against it. I'm glad she came back this week and people have got to acceptn that it's hard to get back into the swing of things after a week out, especially when you're still not 100%. When I heard that she was doing Yellow by Coldplay I thought ''that's the song for her, she's gonna nail it''. She didn't do as well as I thought she would but she was still amaze under the circumstances.

Alexandra was the same old. As I thought, she did break away from diva but didn't do anything that special.

Ruth - same as Alexandra really - nothing special for me.

Rachel - she's back! I knew she had it in her and the second I saw that she was doing Amy Winehouse I knew she was gonna nail it. Can't understand why she was in the bottom two but I know that a lot of people don't like her. I still just want to jump into the TV and give her a slap so she shuts up though.

And Daniel. He was getting better, but let's face it - he should have gone weeks ago. It's about time he went. I did think he was better this week but at the end of the day he just wasn't really in the same league as the others.

I think Rachel and Ruth are in trouble soon. Rachel because not a lot of people like her and she's difficult in a lot of ways. Ruth because she doesn't appeal to everyone, same old and she comes from Spain, it's been said before that she doesn't have a particular town or city voting for her.

I think its Rachel and Alexandra that are the most at risk now.

Rachel because the only song she's nailed since her first audition was......the same song that she nailed at the audition. Feelin good the other week was a lot better than her other performances but still not nailed. People are fed up with the sob story too.

Alexandra because although she has the best voice by a mile of the final 12 she is just another Leona at the moment and is not deviating from that course at all. She needs to show a bit of herself rather than that she can do a good emulation of the other divas. ballads every week except for big band week when she......did an Aguilera copy.

I agree about Eoghan. He is starting to show he's not as limited as everyone thought.

I thought Diane was pretty bad tonight. bad song choice for her really. Sounded good on paper but when you think about how she sings and her style it wasn't ever going to work really. Should have done something like Mary Hopkins. lol

Jls are popular because they are basically a finished article. the show will get them the publicity they need but they already work well together and just need the exposure.

Rachel out next week for me and hopefully Alexandra will pull out something different to save herself from going the week after.

Ruth is probs the most commercially viable of the lot because she will sell small amounts in the UK BUT she can be exported to South America and US where there is plenty of room for a hispanic singer that doesn't have the mumbled tones of Shakira (and we all know that the US is where the money is in music!!! Watch this space. lol) I think bottom 2 she will always be saved by the judges for this commercial reason BUT she won't win because when it comes down to the final 3 and the public vote counts they aren't bothered who can sell around the world and rightly so. They will vote for who they want in the UK charts.

The final boohoo from me was OH Nooo at Leona Lewis. For all the people who moan at Diana's end of sentence squeak I have been saying that Leona is even worse at it and YES she proved it....whilst murdering a great song (although at least she was in tune unlike Mariah last week and Girls Aloud the other week.)

It does peeve me (like Mary J Bilge<---- ;) on 'one') when these big voice Divas cannot understand that the simplicity of the singing is what made these songs great. They go off one in them and miss the point totally. No acrobatics needed. Keep it simple, keep it sensitive and don't sing over the instrumental sections.

Breath back now my weekly rant is over. lol

AC

Despite all fo this about Alexandra though, I'm starting to notice what everyone is saying about ''she doesn't moan'' etc. It's true, she doesn't, she's just enjoying the experience to the full. She does have a great voice but the thing is, it doesn't stand out enough. Whereas Leona had a great voice two years ago aswell, Leona stood out by a mile as the winner. Alexandra doesn't quite do that at the moment. But let's face it, we're never going to find another Leona.

I'm not so sure about Ruth. If she went against an act like JLS, Alexandra or maybe even Diana then I think she might struggle.

I don't think a lot of Leona really. good voice, and hits every note but without knowing her songs the first time I heard them I though it was Martine McCutcheon.

Like above though Snow Patrol do that song just as U2 do 'One'. Simple music, simple voice, no heroics. She missed that point and the song doesn't carry the same weight when someone is trying to 'beat' the song. That type of song does the work and the singer just needs to be a part of the song rather than trying to 'make' the song. Poor choice by her management team in my opinion.

She's butt ugly to boot too. I can't understand the fascination with her. Alexandra is as good a singer, maybe better and prettier (which wouldn't take much) BUT its been done so she has a hinderance there. She also showed whilst doing another song that works from it's simplicity (Joe Cocker - you are so beautiful) that she doesn't really understand the 'keep it simple' principle of the song. Listen to Joe Cocker sing it live or not and you will notice he doesn't stretch his notes out at all. He sings it simple and that is key to the sentiment of the song. No need to make a note last 10 seconds!!!

It's much like a guitarist going mad with a Nuno Bettencourt solo in the middle of the song. It wouldn't work BUT most talented guitarist/musicians would know that too and therefore wouldn't do it. There are exceptions to the rule as always and they end up with the same result as the acrobatic warblers in that they miss the point of the simplicity.

AC

Back