• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What light to add, first planted tank?

l33yds

Seedling
Just looking for a bit of advice, I'm currently in the process of setting up my first proper planted tank. I'm using a 90l aquaone tank which has 2 x 18w T5PL lights built into the hood which I have renewed with full sunlight spec aquaone bulbs which state 7.1k color. Now I was originally going to go more low tech and stick with this, but I've now decided to go down the pressurized co2 route and I know I'll need more light.
I'm thinking of adding 1 t5ho tube to the tank at 18/24w using a simple oldskool separate ballast which I already have lying around from a previous tank (I'm on a tightish budget).
Now as for bulbs I'm looking at getting something which will give me more vivid reds since I'm using red lava rock and I'm wanting some red Flora and fauna (CPD's and possibly Scarlet Badis). The aquaone lights that are currently fitted are quite cold and really don't show off the red in the rock so I'm thinking when the red plants and fish go in they are not going to be very vibrant.
So I guess the advice I'm looking for is does this seem like the best option for getting the required additional light and if so what bulb would get me the desired result, or should I be considering an alternative option, keeping budget in mind.
Thanks, Lee

Hi Lee,

Don't be sucked in thinking you don't have enough light. I think you would be surprised how much light most plants need. I have a TMC 1500 tile that i run at 20% and have managed to get a carpet of HC growing. I suggest reading some of the threads in the lighting section and looking at the lights others are using. Also the colour of the bulb is irrelevant for plants and you should only change the bulb because you don't like the colour!

I'm sure others will add to this!

I hope this helps!

Ross

Hi Lee, I agree with the above poster. The strength of the light and the photo period will determine how fast/slow your plants will grow. Your T8s may be enough. You should concentrate on getting co2 and other issues correct first before worrying too much about light. Have a look at this sticky:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/cheap-ho-t5-fluorescent-tubes-update-with-photos.555/

If you do a search, there are a few UK websites that supply quite inexpensive T5s in different colours. You could purchase a couple and see what colour you like best. As mentioned above, the plants wont care. Cheers

Back